Ice Hockey

Syracuse trumps Mercyhurst in 2-1 overtime win

Allie Wahl | Staff Photographer

Syracuse beat Mercyhurst on Saturday in overtime after losing to the Lakers on Friday.

Syracuse (12-13-3, 8-4-2 College Hockey America) beat host Mercyhurst (12-10-4, 9-3-2) 2-1 on Saturday in the second of a back-to-back after losing 4-1 on Friday. Mercyhurst is currently in first place in the CHA, with the Orange inching closer in second.

The Lakers scored with 1:53 left in the first on a goal by Jillian Skinner that was her first of the season and the Orange headed into the first intermission down 1-0.

Syracuse scored 30 seconds into the second period on Stephanie Grossi’s eighth goal of the season. The Orange and the Lakers went back and forth but the score stayed tied heading into the final frame.

The third period was a scoreless one and the teams headed to overtime.

The Orange scored with 1:30 left in overtime on a much needed power-play goal by Jessica Sibley. Her ninth goal of the season, assisted by Alysha Burriss, gave SU an important win in CHA play as the Orange try to eclipse Mercyhurst at the top of the CHA standings before the start of the CHA tournament in late February.

The Orange continued to struggle on the power play, going 1-of-6 with the player advantage. Syracuse outshot the Lakers 34-11.

The Orange continues CHA play on Friday as it travels to face the Penn State Nittany Lions (9-14-5, 5-4-5 CHA) in a back-to-back series. The Nittany Lions are coming of a 2-0 win on Saturday against RIT.