Football Recruiting

Syracuse football recruiting: Quarterback Lindsey Scott’s decommitment makes him 9th player to leave 2016 class

Class of 2016 quarterback Lindsey Scott decommitted from Syracuse on Sunday night, he announced via Twitter. He is the ninth player to leave the class since Dino Babers’ hiring on Dec. 5.

The Orange’s 2016 class now includes just one quarterback, Rex Culpepper, who is already enrolled for the spring semester. The class as a whole is down to 13 players following Scott’s announcement.

Scott is ranked with three stars and as the 28th best dual-threat quarterback in the 2016 class, per 247Sports.com’s composite rankings. The 5-foot-11, 205-pound Scott was named Louisiana’s Gatorade Player of the Year. He also has offers from Tulane, Rutgers, Wake Forest and Harvard.

Scott originally committed to the Orange on Oct. 5. After former SU head coach Scott Shafer was fired, Scott created a group chat to try and keep the recruiting class in tact, according to 2016 commit Moe Neal.

The Zachary (Louisiana) High School quarterback was scheduled to take an official visit to Syracuse on Jan. 29. According to Scout.com, that trip has been cancelled. Scott’s decommitment comes after three players joined the 2016 class this weekend — defensive end Kendall Coleman, athlete Sean Riley and safety Devon Clarke.

Just two days ago, new SU co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Sean Lewis visited Scott.

Here’s a list of other players that have left SU’s 2016 class since the new coaching staff took over.

Will Harper — outside linebacker/safety

Darius Stubbs — hybrid

Dymelle Parker — defensive end

Noel Brouse — offensive lineman

Cam DeGeorge — offensive lineman

Sadiq Palmer — wide receiver

Brandon Ginnetti — defensive end

Monquavion Brinson — defensive back