Football Recruiting

Syracuse football recruiting: Jaquwan Nelson becomes 3rd defensive end in 2016 class

Defensive end Jaquwan Nelson verbally committed to Syracuse while on his official visit, according to multiple media reports. He is the fifth player to pledge to the Orange this weekend and is the 19th member of SU’s 2016 recruiting class.

Nelson committed to Miami on March 21, 2015 but decommitted from the Hurricanes following their coaching change. Nelson joins Jamal Holloway and Kendall Coleman as the third defensive end commit in Syracuse’s 2016 class.

The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Nelson is ranked with three stars and as the 51st best weak-side defensive end in the 2016 class, per Scout. He attends Fort Lauderdale (Florida) High School and is the sixth Syracuse commit from the Sunshine state.

Syracuse is depleted at defensive end with the losses of Ron Thompson (declared for NFL Draft), Luke Arciniega (not using final year of eligibility) and potentially Amir Ealey and Qaadir Sheppard (indefinitely suspended). Brandon Ginnetti, a 2016 defensive end who was previously committed to SU, decommitted due to the new coaching staff. Kenny Carter and Jake Pickard, both redshirt freshmen, are the only other returning defensive ends on the roster.