Football Recruiting

Syracuse football recruiting: Former Illinois commit Joshua Black becomes 4th defensive end in SU’s 2016 class

Class of 2016 defensive end Joshua Black has verbally committed to Syracuse, he announced in a tweet Monday morning. The former Illinois commit is the fourth defensive end in the Orange’s 2016 recruiting class.

With nine days until National Signing Day, SU’s 2016 class is up to 22 pledges. Black’s commitment comes after seven players verballed to Syracuse over the weekend.

The 6-foot-3, 251-pound Black is ranked with three stars and as the 71st best strong-side defensive end in the Class of 2016, according to 247Sports.com’s composite rankings.

After decommitting from Illinois one week ago, Black took an official visit to Syracuse this past weekend. He enjoyed the visit, according to his Twitter, and announced his commitment on Monday. The Harlem (Illinois) High School defensive end is now the second Orange commit from the Prairie State. He also had offers from Bowling Green, Toledo and Ball State, per 247Sports.

Black joins defensive ends Jamal Holloway, Kendall Coleman and Jaquwan Nelson in the 2016 class. It’s a position group that lacks depth as Ron Thompson (declared for NFL Draft) and Luke Arciniega (won’t use final year of eligibility) won’t return next season while Amir Ealey and Qaadir Sheppard may not be available for Week 1 (indefinite suspension). Class of 2016 defensive end Brandon Ginnetti decommitted due to the new coaching staff. Redshirt freshmen Kenny Carter and Jake Pickard are the only other returning defensive ends on the roster.