Football Recruiting

Syracuse football hires Asil Mulbah as director of recruiting

Courtesy of Wake Forest Athletics

Syracuse has hired Asil Mulbah to replace Eric White as its director of recruiting. Mulbah most recently worked at Wake Forest as the director of high school relations.

Asil Mulbah has been hired as Syracuse’s new director of recruiting, according to an SU Athletics release. He comes over from Wake Forest, where he served as the director of high school relations.

Mulbah replaces former Director of Recruiting Eric White, who reportedly took a player personnel job at Maryland. Former SU head coach Scott Shafer is also now at UMD as the Terrapins’ defensive coordinator.

“Asil has done an outstanding job of establishing contacts with high school coaches from across the country,” Syracuse head coach Dino Babers said in the release. “He got his feet wet in this conference at Wake Forest. Now he’s coming to Syracuse to be the leader of our #OrangeIsTheNewFast recruiting program.”

In Babers’ introductory press conference on Dec. 7, he made a point of saying Syracuse would lock up local talent.

Mulbah has ties to Bowling Green, where he served as the assistant academic coordinator/offensive quality control coach and assistant director of player personnel from 2010-12. For a short time, he left for the Jacksonville Jaguars where he was a player personnel scouting assistant. He assisted then-general manager Gene Smith with NFL scouting evaluations.

After a six-month stint in the NFL, Mulbah returned to Bowling Green where he was the assistant director of football operations in 2012 and the director of player personnel in 2013 under head coach Dave Clawson.

When Clawson left for Wake Forest, Mulbah followed, assuming his position as director of high school relations.

Mulbah joins Roy Wittke (director of football player development), Brad Wittke (director of football operations), Sean Edinger (assistant athletic director for athletic performance for football) and Jeff Sobol (assistant strength and conditioning coach for football) as new hires on SU’s support staff. Syracuse announced their hirings nearly a week ago.