Ice Hockey

Syracuse falls to RIT in overtime, 2-1, despite 42-18 shot advantage

Luke Rafferty | Staff Photographer

Nicole Ferrara scored Syracuse's lone goal in a 2-1 loss to RIT in overtime on Friday night.

Syracuse (10-12-3, 6-3-2 College Hockey America) fell in overtime to RIT (6-18-1, 2-8-1 CHA), 2-1, in Rochester on Friday night despite outshooting the Tigers 42-18.

In the first period both teams were held scoreless with the Orange outshooting RIT 11-5 while also going 0-for-2 on the power play.

The second period started with RIT dominating possession and forcing Syracuse into a back-and-forth, mistake-filled first eight minutes. After a penalty kill, Syracuse had consecutive 2-on-1 opportunities and failed to convert. The Orange finally broke through on the power play at the 13:18 mark of the period on a Nicole Ferrara goal assisted by Melissa Piacentini and Nicole Renault. It was Ferrara’s team-leading 12th goal of the season.

The goal was confirmed following a brief review to see if Piacentini knocked the puck down with a high stick, leading to the rebound goal. The momentum from the goal didn’t last, as RIT tied the game with 15 seconds left in the period on a goal by Carly Payerl.

The third period yielded little until Syracuse hit a post and came within inches of taking the lead a little more than six minutes into the frame. Syracuse continued to dominate the third period but didn’t score, heading to overtime with a 42-17 shot advantage.

Syracuse lost a minute into overtime on blown coverage that led to the game winner by Payerl. Despite the strong shooting advantage, the Orange came with no points. Ferrara’s goal extended her point streak to four games.

The Orange hosts RIT at Tennity Ice Pavilion at 7 p.m. Saturday in the backend of the home-and-home series against the Tigers.