Star Wars vs. Star Trek: How a new exhibit is planning to solve the debate

The “Star Trek” versus “Star Wars” debate has been going on for years. Now, one exhibit is trying to provide an answer through art. “Star Trek Vs. Star Wars: A Logical Choice” is a public art exhibit on display at The Gallery at The Tech Garden on Harrison Street. It opens Thursday and runs until March 25.

Steve Nyland is a curious science-fiction fan and is currently the artist in residence and curator of The Tech Garden gallery.

“I’ve been a lifelong fan of both ‘Star Wars’ and ‘Star Trek’ and on a whim, one day, just posted to social media ‘Star Trek or Star Wars?’ I got over 90 responses,” Nyland said. “That got the ball rolling and made a topic that people would respond to. It’s a huge show.”

The show’s artwork features characters from both “Star Trek” and “Star Wars,” with two-dimensional paintings and digital imagery headlining the exhibit. The artists on display are all current, living members of the Syracuse community, which is something Nyland says he is extremely proud of.

“This is work being done by artists who are local to central New York. Some are from Syracuse. It’s a way for people to consume visual art without even thinking about it,” Nyland said. “The artworks are incredible.”

Nyland also said he hopes his exhibit will help connect “Star Trek” and “Star Wars” for the fans. People have already compared Yoda to Spock, and he hopes that the art pushes fans to create a better-rounded appreciation for both series.

Even though there is much more “Star Wars” art on display, many pieces blended both franchises into a single piece of art to literally illustrate “Star Trek Vs. Star Wars.” He hopes the recent release of the latest Star Wars movie will urge fans to come see the exhibit and enjoy paintings of Princess Leia Organa, Darth Vader and Yoda alike.

“I have seen a lot more empathy with the ‘Star Wars’ franchise and its characters. Star Wars is a much more emotive enterprise, while ‘Star Trek’ is more cerebral and is about plotting and telling stories,” Nyland said. “So I think people are responding to Star Wars closer to their heart.”

Although a great number of people are siding with Star Wars in this debate on display, Nyland considers himself a “Trekkie.” The “Logical Choice” in the title of the exhibit is meant to be a subtle hint toward his preference, referencing Star Trek’s Spock. The dense portfolio of “Star Trek”-related media — eight television programs and 13 feature films — pushes the Captain Kirk-led franchise ahead of the pack, he said.

Nyland’s agrees that “Star Wars” and its sequel, “The Empire Strikes Back,” are classic and creative films, but still believes that “Star Trek” is more of an ongoing and exciting collection of exciting content.

“People really are very much pro one or the other,” Nyland said. “But ‘Star Trek’ helped to shape who I am, and I grew up with it. When I was 10 years old, ‘Star Trek’ was a part of my life, watching sometimes two times a day or sometimes three times a day.”

No matter their preference, Nyland wants this exhibit to help people to realize that visual arts belong in their lives just as much as television and film does. He sees the show as a great way to blend pop culture with fine arts and hopes, to a certain extent, that viewers won’t even think they are at an art gallery.

Nyland said he thinks the entire exhibit is embodied in one specific piece of art: a painting of Princess Leia Organa of the “Star Wars” films. A female artist made the Princess Leia piece, and Nyland wants to stress that the exhibit is not just for boys, but for girls as well. Over half of the artworks depict female characters, and over half of the artists on display are women.

Nyland believes this is his most fulfilling show at The Tech Garden, and he is grateful that so many people responded to his call on Facebook.

Said Nyland: “You can’t plan certain things that just end up coming together … and this certainly did.”