Music

Riley: 5 albums to listen to in 2016

New Year, new you, new tunes. Whether or not you’ve already given up on your New Year’s Resolution or you’re dominating 2016 like it’s going out of style, new music will enhance that party playlist especially if it’s on the cutting edge. Here are some fun albums you can dance to:

Wet, “Don’t You”

Why you should listen: There’s something subtle about Wet’s sound that builds, almost like running water. With minimalist lyrics and rhythm, the band relies heavily on a synth track to convey its message, and it’s incredibly addictive. While “Weak,” a single from their upcoming album, is in fact the band’s weakest song yet, the album as a whole promises dreamy pop heartbreak, no strings attached.

Who they sound like: CHVRCHES, who they joined on tour.

Release date: Jan. 29

Animal Collective, “Painting With”

Why you should listen: Their sound is a weird blend of pleasant, feel-good and strange, wrapped around odd lyrics and synth fun. “Painting With,” the group’s seventh album, is a trip down memory lane for longtime fans, as Animal Collective continues to blend visuals and optimistic beats. At the same time, they are bringing something completely new to the table. With “Floridada,” they essentially achieve euphoria through music, a pleasant sensation all around.

Who they sound like: Although Animal Collective is in a league of its own, the group sounds like a mix of Passion Pit and tUnE-yArDs on steroids.

Release date: Feb. 19

Jack Garratt, “Phase”

Why you should listen: Jack Garratt is a rare breed who not only blends beats loud enough to shake your ribcage, but also sings with a voice that raises goosebumps. With just a guitar, a mixer and his voice, he creates a unique sound of his own. While some of his music dips into an experimental realm — songs like “Remnants” lacking the easy choruses of his more pop-like tunes such as “Weathered” — his first album promises to be a frolic through a range of emotions.

Who he sounds like: Think Ed Sheeran songwriting, mixed with your favorite DJ’s phat beats.

Release date: Feb. 19

Yoko Ono, “Yes, I’m a Witch Too”

Why you should listen: Has there ever been an artist more prolific than Yoko Ono? Whether or not you blame her for The Beatles’ split, or hail her artistic sensibilities and feminist prowess as genius, her album promises to be bizarre. She’s working with bands like Portugal, The Man — famous for lyrical masterpieces coupled with sick visuals — and Death Cab for Cutie, who have remixed Ono’s music. Listening to the single, the album promises to be incredibly weird. This could end in a trainwreck disaster, or it could be just the thing to make your 2016.

Who she sounds like: Nothing you’ve ever heard.

Release date: Feb. 19

The 1975, “I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are so Beautiful Yet so Unaware of It”

Why you should listen: The 1975’s self-titled album burst onto the scene in a stream of incoherent lyrics in 2013, and the alt-rock sound has been the basis for way too many hipster tattoos ever since. The new album seems to be straying from the band’s first, leaning heavily on ’80s influences including poppy, synth beats. Luckily, the band has left the big hair behind, but kept their fun lyrics making light of old addictions and fame with ease. This album is definitely growth for the band, and a must listen for 2016.

Who they sound like: Anywhere between the bands Walk the Moon, Alt-j, X-Ambassadors and Foals.

Release date: Feb. 26

Emera Riley is a sophomore magazine journalism major. Her column appears weekly. You can email her at [email protected] or follow her @emerariley.