Tattoo Tuesday

Junior shows off lifelong SU pride with shoulder tattoo

Connor Martin | Staff Photographer

To prove his loyalty to the SU men's basketball team, despite the NCAA sanctions, Kenny Lacy decided to tattoo the SU logo on his shoulder.

When the NCAA sanctions came down against Syracuse University’s men’s basketball team, Kenny Lacy decided there was no better time to show his loyalty — so he decided to get a tattoo.

While he had originally hoped to get the tattoo when SU won a national championship, he had the Syracuse logo tattooed on his right shoulder over Spring Break 2015. The tattoo was done at local Utica tattoo shop, Eternal Images, and depicts the classic Syracuse “S,” just like the one printed on the middle of the court in the Carrier Dome.

The bright orange stands out, taking up most of Lacy’s shoulder. Written above the “S” in a smaller font and curved fashion is “Syracuse.”

Growing up only an hour away from SU in Utica, New York, Lacy, the junior African American studies major said that his family has always supported SU.

“My first memory of the team was sneaking to stay up late to watch the team win the national championship when I was in second grade,” Lacy said. “Ever since, I’ve just always been in love with the team.”

Lacy hasn’t missed watching a Syracuse University basketball game — whether in person or on TV — since 2008, he said. Now that he’s at SU, he’s been at every single home game.

Lacy said that if Syracuse ever won a national championship, he would add a tattoo of the year that the team won the title. While that may not be this year, Lacy is happy to see Jim Boeheim back as head coach.

Said Lacy: “I have faith that the team will make the NCAA Tournament and get to at least the Round of 32.”