Work Wednesday

Junior asks alumni for donations while working at the SU call center

Riley Bunch | Photo Editor / The Daily Orange

Ellie Winkelmann calls alumni, talks to them about their time at SU and asks for donations to the school.

Tucked away from the Syracuse University population, the Telefund Call Center sits in the basement of the Women’s Building. Home to cubicles, headsets and brightly decorated posters, this is the call center where junior Ellie Winkelmann makes contact with alumni, parents and donors, requesting funds to support the university.

Telefund callers reach out to potential donors in an attempt to raise money for scholarships, organizations and schools within the university.

Winkelmann, a drama student in the College of Visual and Performing Arts, has worked at Telefund since her freshman year. She said she relishes not only at the opportunity to raise money, but also the chance to interact with alumni who understand the Syracuse experience.

Alumni often choose to donate to the aspects of campus to which they feel closest — their home college, for example, or clubs and activities they participated in during their college years.

Students are encouraged to engage in conversation with potential donors, asking what made their time at SU memorable. Winkelmann said the job has allowed her to learn and grow, as it is not only financially beneficial for the university, but has proven to be personally valuable as well.

“They can help you because they know exactly what you’re going through,” said Winklemann, who is attending SU with the assistance of scholarships.

Winkelmann said her job allows her to make strong connections with alumni who share her enthusiasm and love of the school, even if it’s just for a few minutes over the phone.

“Last year I talked to this parent who was really awesome,” Winkelmann said. “She asked me all about what I was doing, and she was like, ‘you know, I want to give this money on behalf of you, because you work really hard.’”

As graduation looms, Winkelmann is already thinking ahead to what being on the other end of the phone line will be like.

Said Winkelmann: “I’ll always answer the phone and talk to the person. I’ll definitely give.”