Jim Boeheim: ‘The scheduling is horrific in this league this year’

Sam Maller | Staff Photographer

Jim Boeheim called the ACC scheduling "horrific" after Syracuse's win against Notre Dame. SU will face Georgia Tech on Saturday and Virginia Tech on Tuesday.

Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim stood at the podium shortly after the Orange defeated No. 25 Notre Dame, 81-66. There were only about 40 hours before he’d be standing there again, following SU’s matchup with Georgia Tech on Saturday at noon.

“The scheduling is horrific in this league this year. It’s pretty obvious, everybody knows that. Why we’re playing Thursday when we could have played Wednesday. I don’t know. It just doesn’t make sense.”

In addition to playing two days apart against the Fighting Irish and the Yellow Jackets, Syracuse will face Virginia Tech on Tuesday. Three games in six days for an SU team that has one of the tightest rotations in the country.

“It’s really scary that when people that are doing these things don’t see that,” Boeheim said. “That’s what’s scary. Really, really scary.”

After playing the currently 12-9 Hokies, Syracuse has 11 days off. In the same span it played four games prior, it will play none. After that, the Orange has another three games in a six-day span against Florida State, Boston College and Louisville.

The Syracuse players didn’t detract from their head coach, but didn’t go as far as to say the conference scheduling was stupid, either.

“It’s tough. It’s ACC,” Trevor Cooney said. “It’s just how it’s gonna be. I mean you’re gonna play Thursdays and you’re gonna play Saturdays. And you’re gonna play Saturdays and you’re gonna play Mondays. It’s tough. Everyone’s doing it I think…It makes it harder that it’s a tough conference and every team’s good.”

Michael Gbinije said he felt good, but heard where his coach was coming from.

“I don’t understand it either, but I can’t do anything but try and get ready some more. I feel good honestly right now. I’m gonna be ready to go.

“Shout out to pickle juice.”