University Politics

Here’s who Syverud named to lead the Hendricks Chapel dean search committee

Photo Courtesy of Stephen F Sartori

The new dean of Hendricks Chapel will replace the interim dean, Samuel Clemence. He was appointed to the position last August.

Chancellor Kent Syverud has appointed Candace Campbell Jackson, his chief of staff, and Samuel Clemence, the interim dean of Hendricks Chapel, to lead the search committee for a permanent dean of Hendricks Chapel, Syracuse University announced Tuesday.

The Hendricks Chapel Review and Dean’s Search Committee will conduct a comprehensive review of Hendricks’s existing programs, facilities and finances before starting the dean search, according to an SU News release. The review will accept input from faculty, students, staff, the University Senate and the SU community, according to the release.

“This review process will help ensure that programs and services continue to align and evolve along with students’ needs,” Syverud said in the release. “It will also be an invaluable tool in identifying the best person to lead this dynamic institution going forward.”

The remaining committee members will be announced in the coming weeks, according to the release.

The new dean will replace Clemence, who was named interim dean last fall after the previous dean, Tiffany Steinwert, accepted a job at Wellesley College. Steinwert was the first female dean of Hendricks.

The committee will finish the review in the spring and begin the dean search in the fall, according to the release.