Former Syracuse football QB AJ Long announces he’ll continue career at Wagner

Margaret Lin | Staff Photographer

AJ Long will continue his playing career at Wagner College after being medically disqualified at Syracuse.

Former Syracuse quarterback AJ Long, who was medically disqualified in October because of multiple concussions suffered at SU, announced Saturday morning on Instagram that he’ll continue playing football at Wagner College.

Long started five games in his freshman year after Terrel Hunt suffered a broken fibula on Oct. 3, 2014 against Louisville and missed the rest of the season. He battled a broken right hand at the beginning of last season and didn’t factor in the quarterback competition during training camp.

In the week leading up to Syracuse’s game against Louisiana State, Long intended to switch to wide receiver but those plans never came to fruition. He was nearing sufficient health to play but suffered his third concussion at Syracuse in practice the Wednesday before the Orange traveled to face South Florida.

The Daily Orange chronicled Long’s battle with concussions and his future plans, which included staying at Syracuse and pursuing a career in coaching. Recently, Long was the focus of a STAT project about players who are recruited by a school after being medically disqualified at another.

Wagner is a member of the Football College Subdivision and posted a 1-10 record last season. The Seahawks never scored more than 28 points in a game, which came in its lone win against Central Connecticut in the second-to-last game of the season.