Letters to the Editor

College Republicans at Syracuse University express stance on Donald Trump

The College Republicans at Syracuse University does not support Donald Trump.  Mr. Trump is a disgrace to conservatism and an embarrassment to the GOP.

Mr. Trump’s racist statements and policy stances regarding Hispanics have no place in the conservative tent. The deportation of over 11 million undocumented immigrants is unrealistic in terms of cost and labor.  Further, this invasion of our neighbors’ homes recalls the tyranny of Orwell’s “1984,” which has no place in the party of small government.

Mr. Trump’s desire to “bomb the s*** out of (ISIS)” and kill the families of terrorists show his ignorance and callousness regarding the problems of the Middle East. His bombastic rhetoric may fire up his supporters, but it also demonstrates how unqualified he is to be Commander-in-Chief.  The United States must work to solve foreign policy issues through coalition building and intelligent intervention.

Mr. Trump’s suggestion to temporarily ban the entrance of Muslims into the United States is xenophobic rhetoric that plays on the fears of the masses.  Mass violence and tragedy in Syria and other conflict zones has forced refugees to leave their homes and ways of life. They want a better place for their families; somewhere with schools for their children and opportunities for employment. This story is integral to our national identity; you need only look to the inscription on the Statue of Liberty for proof.

Beyond the above, Mr. Trump’s support for mosque surveillance, eminent domain for private use, massive tariffs on imports, and a tax plan that would balloon the national debt reveal an individual who is not a conservative. Further, he has made countless statements that reveal he is un-presidential. In the past year, he has made sexist comments toward Megyn Kelly, blamed China and Mexico for our economic woes, and claimed that he could shoot someone and still lead the polls.

The 2016 presidential race is pivotal for the Republican Party. We, as Republicans, must make important decisions about our party’s future. The GOP could become the party of fear and anger, or the GOP could use this opportunity to redefine itself as the party of reform and opportunity.

Donald Trump is not a conservative, but a demagogue. He is the wrong choice for the Republican Party. He is unfit to be president.

Wyatt Suling and Chris Pulliam, Chair and Vice Chair of the College Republicans at Syracuse University