Adam Smith didn’t transfer to Georgia Tech because of basketball, but he’s thrived for GT

He led Virginia Tech in scoring and shots per game. He started 21 games for the Hokies. He was next in line to become a captain.

“Both Joey van Zegeren and I figured we were going to lead the team,” Adam Smith said.

But Smith, then a junior, opted to transfer. His decision to reject that opportunity shocked Hokie fans. But it had nothing to do with basketball. It had everything to do with his long-term future.

Smith, now pursuing a master’s degree in music technology at Georgia Tech, wanted a graduate program that allowed him to pursue a career path outside of the sport. And while he isn’t ruling a professional career out, he’s considering his realistic options.

“Hopefully, I get a chance to play professional basketball,” Smith said. “But at some point, it’s going to end.”

Smith is second on Georgia Tech in scoring, averaging 14.4 points per game for the Yellow Jackets (12-8, 2-5 Atlantic Coast) and is leading the team in three-point shooting. Smith scored 20 points in Wednesday’s win over North Carolina State, a key win for the Yellow Jackets after it lost three straight conference games. He’ll be at the forefront of GT’s effort to upset Syracuse (14-8, 4-5) in the Carrier Dome at noon on Saturday.

This wasn’t Smith’s first transfer. He left UNC Wilmington for Virginia Tech following his freshman year and was forced to sit out the 2012-13 season due to NCAA transfer rules. Two years later, he started 21 games and lead the Hokies in scoring with 13 points per game.

But after completing his degree in multimedia journalism at Virginia Tech, Smith wasn’t interested in any of the school’s dual degree or master’s degree programs. He met with his head coach, Buzz Williams, and two worked together to figure out his future at other schools.

“He knew my educational goals and aspirations. It was nothing personal,” Smith said.

Smith was contacted by 16 programs, including Kansas State and Memphis. But it came down to three schools for the Atlanta native: Georgia Southern, Georgia State and Georgia Tech.

“Once those Georgia schools contacted me, it was a great opportunity to get back home,” Smith said. “It just kind of presented itself. I wouldn’t have even thought of going back home. It’s a win-win situation.”

He visited Georgia Tech, where he recognized most of his future teammates from playing high school basketball in the greater Atlanta area. He knew the Yellow Jackets’ program well from ACC competition. He conducted his own research into the academic programs, specifically looking into the school’s audio engineering graduate degree.

The school’s location, which was close to home and close to several media outlets, was the school’s biggest sell to him.

“It’s perfect for Adam,” Greg Smith, Adam’s father, said. “TBS is right across the street from the basketball arena. ESPN, TNT, they’re all here.”

While most graduate students don’t have to sit out for a season after transferring, Smith had to apply for an NCAA waiver due to his previous transfer. His request was granted.

Smith has already gotten involved in media at Georgia Tech, working with the school’s athletic department on minor projects. He can’t wait to work with the department more once basketball season ends.

“I’ll have more time to do that then,” Smith said. “We’ve been talking about it. I’m not sure how much basketball I’ll still be playing.”

And while his numbers have risen compared to his final year at Virginia Tech, Smith may have missed an opportunity to lead a team to the NCAA Tournament. In his return to Blacksburg, Georgia Tech lost an 88-87 nailbiter to the Hokies. Smith scored five points on 2-13 shooting.

“I knew they were going to be better this year,” Smith said. “They had some great players coming in. All of those guys were my friends … (My transfer) had less to do with basketball than anything.”