National

Surveys find parents, high school counselors are skeptical of college’s value against its cost

High school counselors and parents of college students are skeptical that the average costs of college matches its value, surveys conducted by Kaplan Test Prep and MONEY magazine found.

Of the 500 parents surveyed, 58 percent disagreed that “the cost of a four-year college degree today is clearly justified for the value it delivers,” according to a press release from Kaplan. Twenty-one percent agreed, while another 21 percent said they were not sure.

A separate survey, conducted among 235 high school counselors, found that just 37 percent of counselors felt strongly that the average cost of a four-year college is justified, according to the release.

“The takeaway isn’t that they don’t believe in the value of a college degree — they’re really concerned about the high sticker price,” said Michael Boothroyd, Kaplan’s executive director of college admissions programs, in the release. “This is understandable since for many, it’s a hefty investment that brings immediate debt but not necessarily immediate return.”

The survey of parents found that a number of them are often feeling the pressure of that investment, with 60 percent saying that thinking about saving for college is “more daunting” than thinking about retirement.

Despite this, parents are not frequently discussing the value of a college degree with high school counselors, according to the release. In the survey of counselors, just 12 percent of them said that topic “always” comes up with parents, while 30 percent said it “often” comes up, according to the release, and 22 percent of counselors said the topic “rarely” comes up.

“The cost of college can seem intimidating, but the last thing parents and students should do is despair and give up,” said Greg Daugherty, education editor at MONEY, in the release. “There are many top-notch colleges that provide generous financial aid packages, help students graduate with little or no debt, and launch them into successful and productive careers.”