State

SU to take next step in veterans complex initiative as CNY wins state funding

Chase Guttman | Asst. Photo Editor

Secretary of Defense Ash Carter speaks at SU in March. Carter is quoted in the section of an SU report devoted to the creation of the NVRC.

The National Veterans Resource Complex proposed by Syracuse University received crucial state funding on Thursday in order to move the project forward.

New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the Central New York region was a recipient of $500 million to fund regional development projects, which includes a proposal by SU to build a center that would be a “hub” for research relating to veterans and military issues.

The grant signaled to university leaders the NVRC project could move forward. SU will begin to launch an international design competition to find a partner to conceptualize, design and construct the proposed NVRC, according to an SU News release.

The NVRC will be built on 111 Waverly Ave., where SU Health Services is currently located. The center will also serve as a permanent location for SU’s Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF), according to recent project descriptions from the Central New York Regional Economic Development Council.

“Today is a great day for Syracuse University and for the veteran population who will significantly benefit from the state’s infusion of funds in the CNY region,” said Michael Haynie, vice chancellor and executive director of the IVMF, in the release. “The NVRC will build upon and solidify the region’s ongoing effort to position CNY as the nation’s leader in research and programming connected to the veteran and military sectors.”

CNY was selected as one of three regions in Upstate New York to receive the grant. The Finger Lakes region and the Southern Tier region were also grant recipients.

“This is an extraordinary moment in time for this region, Central New York is truly on the rise,” said CNY Regional Economic Development Council Co-Chairs Kent Syverud, chancellor of SU, and Robert Simpson, president of CenterState CEO, in the release. “Through this investment, we now have the opportunity to revolutionize our economic trajectory.”

The award comes as Cuomo acknowledged at the award ceremony in Albany that the New York state legislature has “not shown Upstate New York the need and attention” it deserved for the last 50 years.

“Yes the past has been bad,” Cuomo said. “But it’s a different day.”