Letters to the Editor

Student argues that Syracuse University should allow holiday decoration displays in dorms

My name is Aodhan Doyle, a freshman in Day Hall and this letter is to question Syracuse’s policies regarding the holiday season. There is clear hypocrisy in holiday celebrations at SU. A majority of my floor mates and I wished to put up a Christmas tree in our floor lounge. We were told, through our RAs, that our Residence Director would not allow it. However, until December 8th, when they were taken down, there was a Christmas tree and other Christmas decorations in Graham Dining Center. There is a Christmas tree in Hinds Hall. My RD said we couldn’t put up a tree because it “would not be inclusive” to other religions. We weren’t against Hanukkah decorations, or Kwanza decorations, in fact, we welcomed them. Anyone who wished to celebrate with us was welcome to. Yet, according to the emails sent to Day Hall residents, Hanukkah fell under different rules. On December 3rd, an email was sent to us from our RD saying there would be a menorah candle lighting in Flint Hall every night of Hanukkah. The email said “We hope this will be a great way for those celebrating the Jewish holiday to enjoy the tradition together, but the lightings are open to all residents.” For a school/residence hall that is clearly trying to distance itself from associating with any specific holiday, as was demonstrated when our tree proposal was rejected, why is it okay to have a school sponsored Hanukkah celebration? In fact, if opening up the ceremony to all residents passes as “inclusive,” how doesn’t our proposal? Also, due to the fire code, residents who wish to light a menorah have been told to do so in the lounge, not in their room. That is understandable, no one wants a fire. But to allow the lighting of menorahs in the lounge, in an area where everyone is supposed to feel “inclusive,” but not the decorating of a Christmas tree, is hypocritical. I’m not waging war on Hanukkah; I just question why it’s okay for Syracuse to accept the celebration of some holidays in its buildings but not others. I hope if I were able to put up a Christmas tree in the lounge, my Jewish friends would put a menorah right beside it. That’s what the holiday season is all about: celebrating together with those around us.

Aodhan Doyle ‘19
Broadcast and Digital Journalism