Work Wednesday

Sophomore trades in sweets for subs with job at Jimmy John’s

Hannah Wagner | Staff Photographer

Olivia Liskowitz favorite sandwich to make on the job is the Italian Night Club.

Olivia Liskowitz has never eaten a Jimmy John’s sandwich, but she makes them.

“My favorite thing to make is definitely the Italian Night Club,” Liskowitz said. “My boss teases me because my face lights up every time someone orders it.”

She said she enjoys making the sandwiches, but opts to eat at a campus dining hall most days.

Liskowitz, a sophomore broadcast and digital journalism and finance double major, was looking to make some money with the extra time she had in her schedule. One of her friends who worked at Jimmy John’s told her they were hiring.

Liskowitz began working at Jimmy John’s on Marshall Street in early September of this year. She works mostly on the weekends during football and basketball games, when hours are busy since Jimmy John’s caters football games.

“While you’re taking care of the people in the store, you’ve also got to make about 200 sandwiches to send to the Dome at the end of the game,” Liskowitz said. “It’s crazy, but it’s really fun and the time flies when it’s so busy.”

She said one of the hardest parts about the job is balancing her time when she is off the clock. As double major, she has a heavy course load, but for the most part she said balancing work and school is manageable.

Jimmy John’s is not Liskowitz’s first job. Her most recent job was at Carlo’s Bakery, the bakery featured on the TLC show “Cake Boss.”

Liskowitz said she hopes to keep this job throughout the rest of her time at Syracuse, as long as her schedule allows it.

“Jimmy John’s is a lot more systematic,” she said. “They’ve got sandwich making down to a science, and everything is done a certain way to ensure uniformity.”