Student Association

SA Briefs: 3 takeaways from Monday’s meeting (Dec. 8)

Here are three takeaways from the Student Association meeting Monday night in Maxwell Auditorium:

1. Seedat displeased with travel policy

SA President Aysha Seedat voiced concerns with Syracuse University’s new travel and entertainment policy, which made BTI The Travel Consultants the university’s official travel management company and requires the use of Concur, a 24/7 booking portal, for university-funded travel.

The policy considers the student activity fee a university fund, meaning students using the fee for travel expenses would need to adhere to the policy. Seedat is hoping to have the policy amended so the activity fee is not considered a university fund.

1. SUNY SA drafts ride-hailing legislation

On a Google conference call last week, the president and vice president of the State University of New York Student Assembly told Seedat they recently finished drafting a resolution pledging support for the legalization of ride-hailing services in the state.

Last month, the SA assembly voted to approve sending a letter to the New York State Assembly calling for the legalization of ride-hailing services.

1. Seedat to meet with Coyle, others

Seedat said Monday she will be meeting next week with SU Director of Athletics Mark Coyle and Otto’s Army President Natalie Wiesnet to further discuss the potential for a student athletic fee.

Seedat met prior to Thanksgiving break with Coyle and Deputy Athletics Director Kimberly Keenan-Kirkpatrick, and the three discussed the athletic fee, among other things.