Crime

Nu Alpha Phi members plead guilty to hazing violation

Justin Mattingly | News Editor

Two members of Nu Alpha Phi who were charged for their involvement in a hazing incident pleaded guilty Tuesday to a violation of hazing. The fraternity is housed at 739 Ackerman Ave.

UPDATED: Dec. 15, 2015 at 11:29 a.m.

The two Nu Alpha Phi members charged with hazing after a fraternity pledge almost lost four fingers in March pleaded guilty in city court Tuesday to a violation of hazing.

Jeffrey Yam and Tae Kim were charged in March with hazing in the first degree, a misdemeanor, and they both originally pleaded not guilty. However, at their hearing Tuesday, the charge was downgraded to hazing in the second degree, a violation. Prosecutor Peter Hakes cited the fact that neither defendant has a criminal record as well as the fact that Syracuse University has “addressed the conduct.”

Neither Yam nor Kim said anything after they pleaded guilty and they were sentenced to a one-year conditional discharge under the condition they stay out of trouble. Because the charge was reduced to a violation, Yam and Kim, who are no longer enrolled at SU, won’t have criminal records.

City Court Judge Theodore Limpert recognized the consequences SU handed down on Yam and Kim. When Limpert began going into some detail about those consequences, Kim’s attorney, Jim Hopkins, moved to not have them on the record.

“I think you both recognize the serious nature of this situation and I think it’s a good result for everyone,” Limpert said. “I hope it’s a strong message to the fraternities at the university that this behavior is not tolerated.”

Kevin Quinn, SU’s senior vice president for public affairs, said in an email that the university took the case “extremely seriously.”

“The university is dedicated to promoting a safe and healthy campus environment that rejects all forms of hazing and fosters respect for the dignity and rights of all our campus community members,” Quinn said.

In March, a pledge of Nu Alpha Phi nearly lost four fingers due to frostbite after he was forced to do aerobic exercises as punishment for “failing to perform their daily duties properly.” Pledges were dressed in sweatshirts, pants, boots and no gloves, then forced to do exercises in the cold and snow. The incident caused the victim severe pain in both hands and he was treated for severe frostbite at Crouse Hospital, police said in March.

Nu Alpha Phi was suspended from the university. The fraternity is still listed on the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs website.

Both Kimberly Zimmer and Hopkins, who were representing Yam and Kim, respectively, said after the hearing that it was an appropriate result for the case.