Stories for 2016

5 storylines to watch heading into 2016

Frankie Prijatel | Staff Photographer

The further development of SA proposals are expected to come in the new year.

1. Syracuse University veteran initiatives see further development

In 2015, Syracuse University proposed a veteran-focused medical school and the National Veterans Resource Complex. After receiving funding from New York state, design and construction of the complex will move forward in 2016, while the medical school will continue to be reviewed. SU has already began the search for an architecture firm to design the complex and the winning proposal and firm will be announced in May 2016. The medical school, however, received skeptical feedback from a 21-member Faculty Advisory Committee and will be the subject of further discussion with other SU stakeholders to see how it aligns with other initiatives.

2. Student Association proposals and elections

In its first semester, the 59th Session of the SU Student Association made numerous proposals that will require further discussion in 2016. In November, the group sent a letter to the New York State Assembly in support of legalizing ride-hailing services such as Uber. When it convenes in January, the state assembly will consider bill A.6090, which would include ride-hailing services in the state’s insurance regulations. SA President Aysha Seedat also met with SU officials several times this past semester to discuss implementing a student athletic fee. The proposed fee would be a $100 charge automatically added to student’s bills, although they will be able to opt out. Seedat has also explored a spirit program. Both ideas are still in preliminary stages. Elections for SA’s 60th Session will also take place in 2016.

3. Searches for deans continue

In September, James Steinberg, dean of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, and Ann Clarke, dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts, both announced they would be stepping down at the end of the 2015-16 academic year. Steinberg has been dean of Maxwell since 2011 and was the deputy secretary of state under Hillary Clinton before coming to SU. He will be returning as a University Professor in the 2016-17 academic year. Clarke has been dean of VPA since 2008 and will be returning as a faculty member after a one-year research leave. Search committees for deans of both schools have been announced and will continue to look for replacements in 2016.

4. Health insurance required for all SU students

In the 2016-17 academic year, all full-time students will be required to have health insurance. As part of phase one of this policy, all incoming, newly matriculated and matriculated international full-time students and graduate students were required to have health insurance for the 2015-16 academic year. The policy was announced in March as part of an effort to improve health care across campus. Students have the option to purchase a plan provided by the school for $1,890 or can opt out of that coverage if they have their own. There was some confusion about the waiver process during the initial rollout of the policy, which officials said they would consider before all students had to undergo the process.

5. Fast Forward Syracuse decisions made

The year 2015 saw several developments in the three components of Syverud’s Fast Forward initiative. Syverud created the initiative to act as a framework for future administrative decisions. Several key Fast Forward decisions made in 2015 include the new travel and entertainment policy for SU faculty, staff and students; the proposal of the National Veterans Resource Complex; and the faculty buyout program. More plans will most likely be made in 2016 as the working groups for the Academic Strategic Plan Oversight Committee continue discussions and the Board of Trustees weighs options for the future of the Carrier Dome.