From the Runway

4 outfits inspired by Hollywood icons

During the holiday season, nostalgia always finds a way to creep back into our lives, making us reminisce our favorite pastimes. As the temperatures outside get colder, we spend our free time indoors, snuggling up underneath blankets, partaking in one of the best pastimes there is: watching classic films. Scenes from “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” “The Seven Year Itch,” “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” and “Dial M for Murder” flit across the screen, bringing you back to the world of old Hollywood.

The celebrities of the ‘50s and ‘60s were some of the first to bring personal style into the world of Hollywood. Most notably, Katharine Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Marilyn Monroe, Bette Davis and Elizabeth Taylor created looks that transformed them from just iconic actresses to iconic trendsetters of the fashion world.

Many of these ensembles have become classic staples and are often inspirations for today’s designs. Here are a few of their timeless looks, broken down into outfit formulas that you can easily replicate:

Black turtleneck + high-waisted white pants

120815_P_web_FTR1_DorisHuang_SP

Marilyn Monroe was as much a sex icon as she was a popular actress in the ’50s. She often wore form-fitting garments, showing off her hourglass figure and revealing the perfect amount of skin (no one can forget her white flowing dress.) This outfit replicates one of her more conservative looks, a minimalistic pant-and-top combo that looks sophisticated and sexy at the same time. The soft material of the turtleneck and pants allows you to feel comfortable, while the slim silhouette shows off just the right amount of your curves.

Button down + high-waisted A-line skirt + thin belt + Mary Janes

120815_P_web_FTR2_DorisHuang_SP

Fiercely independent and a free spirit, Katharine Hepburn sported menswear inspired get-ups during a time when androgynous looks were unorthodox. She implemented sharp blazers, collared shirts, trousers and loafers into her everyday wardrobe, channeling a balance between the tomboy and the ultra-feminine. This look combines the masculine elements of a structured button-down and leather belt with the femininity of a flowing skirt and innocence of Mary Janes. The skirt adds movement to the look, contrasting the stiffness of the shirt and the belt draws the eye to the waist, creating the classic hourglass silhouette.

Scarf + sleeveless dress

120815_P_web_FTR3_DorisHuang_SP

When it came to fashion, Elizabeth Taylor was daring. Throughout the years, she wore plunging necklines, miniskirts, feather boas, silk caftans and fur wraps. Whenever she wore something simple, Taylor played up her appearance with dramatic jewelry or flamboyant accessories. Here, we combine the simple shape of a shift dress with a bold and audacious print and add a sleek element of a basic scarf to tie the look together. This outfit allows you to show off enough skin without crossing the line of too revealing.

White long sleeve shirt + belt + plaid skirt + heels + dark lip

120815_P_web_FTR4_DorisHunag_SP

While most actresses wore fashions that could have been considered larger-than-life, Bette Davis had a more simplistic take on style. She often wore charming polka dot shirts and formal blouses and could pull off long, flowing gowns that dipped in a daring “V” in the back. Davis stayed true to herself and dressed for no one else, and that resonates here with a simple, plain white shirt with a structured plaid skirt and heels to create a rather formal yet fun look. To add a bit of pop to the outfit, pair it with a bold, deep lip color that will make you stand out.

These vintage looks take us back to an era in which everything was much more simple and show that a red-lipped, classic ensemble will never go out of style.