NCAA Investigations

What we know: A breakdown of Syracuse’s NCAA appeal results

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Syracuse won back one scholarship for the next four seasons, but will still vacate 101 of Jim Boeheim's wins as part of the NCAA's punishments issued last March.

The NCAA Infractions Appeals Committee responded on Wednesday to Syracuse University’s appeal of some of the sanctions handed down on March 6. Here’s what we know about the committee’s findings (read the full nine-page report here), and what it means for the university and its men’s basketball team.

Representatives of the NCAA’s appeals committee and Syracuse University met for an oral argument on Aug. 3, 2015. Syracuse was appealing three penalties as part of the NCAA’s original findings released on March 6, 2015.

Which penalties did Syracuse appeal?

• The reduction of 12 scholarships over four seasons (2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19)
    • Returning money to the NCAA that Syracuse received through the former Big East revenue sharing for playing in the 2011, 2012 and 2013 NCAA Tournaments. Also, having the conference withhold any future payments to Syracuse and forfeit them to the NCAA. 
    • The vacation of wins from the from “the academic years 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2010-11 and 2011-12 in men’s basketball and 2004-05, 2005-06 and 2006-07 in football in which student-athlete Nos. 1 through 10 competed while ineligible.” Student-athlete Nos. 1 through 10 were linked to various NCAA infractions in the March report.

How did the NCAA rule on Syracuse’s appeals?

• Regarding the reduction of scholarships penalty, the NCAA appeals committee found that the hearing committee “failed to consider and weigh material factors and therefore, abused its discretion in the imposition of” 12 lost scholarships across four seasons. Therefore, Syracuse won back one scholarships for each year, and the penalty is now eight scholarships lost across four seasons (or two a year).
    • In the appeals report, the NCAA writes that the hearing committee did not abuse its discretion with the prescribed financial penalties. However, Syracuse wrote in its official statement that: “In addition, even before the NCAA Infractions Appeals Committee issued its decision, the University won a significant victory by achieving a $1.23 million reduction in the financial penalty previously imposed.  In formulating its appeal, the University discovered the NCAA Committee on Infractions had incorrectly penalized it by requiring the forfeiture of monies received from the 2013 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament.  The Committee on Infractions acknowledged the error and corrected its earlier decision by reducing the financial penalty.”

Not yet ruled on

• Jim Boeheim’s appeal of his nine-game suspension at the start of conference play is a personal appeal, so it was not ruled on by the NCAA at this time. The NCAA’s decisions were for appeals made by Syracuse University. Boeheim’s appeal is still pending, and results will come at a later date.