Weekend Plans

Weekend Plans: “Hunger Games,” men’s soccer

Daily Orange File Illustration

Catch Katniss Everdeen on the big screen one last time in "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 2."

If you’re sticking around in Syracuse for Thanksgiving Break, or are not going home until later this weekend, take a look at Pulp’s weekend plans. Since there are no classes on Monday, you will have plenty of time to catch a new movie or see a soccer game. Click on the orange text to learn more.

“The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 2” premiere

The final installment in “The Hunger Games” series is coming to theaters Thursday night. Although there has not been much hype surrounding the movie, an all-star cast promises an epic final battle with the Capitol. This is also the last time the world will see Jennifer Lawrence as the fearless Katniss Everdeen. If you got tickets to go with Orange After Dark before they sold out, buses leave Goldstein and Schine student centers at 10:30 p.m. If not, Destiny USA is showing it seven times on Thursday, starting at 7:30 p.m.

Gabriel Iglesias

Comedian Gabriel Iglesias is bringing his signature “fluffy” comedy to the Oncenter Crouse Hinds Theater on Thursday. The comedian is on his “#FluffyBreaksEven” tour, which is not the first he’s brought to Syracuse. He is well-known for his role in the movies “Magic Mike” and “Magic Mike XXL.” The show begins at 8 p.m. and tickets range from $34 to $114.

SU Athletics

Men’s soccer will follow their first ACC title with their first NCAA tournament game of the season on Sunday at 2 p.m. The game will be played in the SU Soccer Stadium against either Dartmouth or Hartwick, who will play on Thursday. The team is the No. 6 seed in the tournament and earned a first-week bye. While they are seeded for this tournament, they came from behind as an unranked team in the ACC tournament. Men’s basketball also plays this weekend, with a game against Elon on Saturday in the Carrier Dome.

The Heavy Pets

Syracuse University alumni Jeff Lloyd and Jim Wuest are coming back to Syracuse this weekend with their band, The Heavy Pets. Although the two met in college, they didn’t solidify the band until until a few years after graduation. Since then, they have gained national attention, including being named a “Top 10 Album of 2010” by a Huffington Post contributor and performing at Bonnaroo. The Heavy Pets is a jam band and will perform at Funk ‘n Waffles Downtown on Friday. Doors open at 8 p.m. and the show begins an hour later. You can buy tickets online here for $10.

Skä•noñh – Great Law of Peace Center opening

This Saturday marks the official opening of the Skä•noñh – Great Law of Peace Center on Onondaga Lake. The center has been renovated from its original state as Sainte Marie Among the Iroquois. Now, the museum will feature Haudenosaunee heritage and history. The center is operated by the Onondaga Historical Society, which took over the site in 2013, according to its website. OHA has worked closely with members of the Haudenosaunee community to create an accurate representation of their history. Check out all of their hard work this Saturday, when the center is open to the public with no admission fee. It will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and there will be plenty of activities, music and food for all.