Week in Sports

Week in Sports: Syracuse wins Battle 4 Atlantis, ends Shafer’s tenure with a win and more

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Trevor Cooney scored 15 points in Syracuse's win over Texas A&M in the Battle 4 Atlantis championship game.

Men’s soccer makes first Elite Eight ever

For the first time in program history, SU men’s soccer will play for a chance at the final four, doing what the team could not do a year ago when it won its Sweet 16 matchup. Last year, the Orange lost to Georgetown. This season, the Orange handily defeated Seattle. Read the story of the game here and how Liam Callahan linked the defense and attack in a 3-1 win.

Follow along with all the men’s soccer coverage here.

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Men’s basketball wins Battle 4 Atlantis tournament

The Syracuse men’s basketball team shot well from 3-point range, even better than you may think, en route to two upsets over ranked opponents and the Battle 4 Atlantis trophy. There’s a story to read and pictures to see from the championship game upset of Texas A&M. And basketball beat writer Sam Blum thinks that the Battle 4 Atlantis win was bigger than just the tournament. It was about Syracuse proving it could do it.

Read full coverage of the tournament from The Daily Orange staff who were there.

Scott Shafer wins final game as Orange head coach

As his team made plays late in the game to pull out a win for the first time since September, SU head coach Scott Shafer became emotional as his players picked him up and carried him off the field Saturday. It was the last game Shafer will coach for Syracuse, as he was fired on Nov. 23 but allowed to coach the season’s last game. Offensive coordinator Tim Lester said, ‘the one thing I do know is that I don’t know anything’ because many of Shafer’s assistants will likely not be retained.

See the emotional pictures from Shafer’s last game, as well as read and watch his final press conference.

Read full coverage of the game here.

Russ Scalf | Contributing Photographer

Russ Scalf | Contributing Photographer

Shafer’s replacement rumblings

Former SU star running back Floyd Little stood by Syracuse’s decision to move on from Shafer as head coach Saturday. Little also provided some insight into how the coaching search is going now. Oregon’s offensive coordinator Scott Frost is a name that has popped up often.

Read full coverage of Syracuse football here.

Volleyball passed over by NCAA selection committee

Despite a 23-8 record, the SU volleyball team didn’t make the cut for the NCAA tournament. Syracuse placed fourth in the Atlantic Coast Conference and defeated the No. 15 team in the country, but four ACC teams were picked above the Orange.

Read why, how and more here.