Week in Review

Week in Pulp: Hoverboards, budding musician

Dylan Kim | Staff Photographer

Junior Dylan Carroll just signed a deal with Marshall Street Records.

This week, Pulp brought you a young musician with a new record deal, a growing trend in transportation and a columnist’s reflection on reactions to her articles. Check out these stories and more in this “Week in Pulp.” Click on the headings to read the full story.

1. Hoverboards gain popularity

Hoverboards are one of the latest trends in transportation technology. Like a Segway without handlebars, the boards allow their users to move hands-free at speeds up to 12 mph and are controlled by leaning. After hoverboards were introduced introduced by Chic Robotics at China’s Canton Fair last year, they sold quickly and are projected to be a best-selling item this holiday season. Although they will be difficult to use once winter hits, you can pick one up at the Hero Board kiosk at Destiny USA that opened last week.

pulp illo web (1)

Dani Pendergast | Art Director

2. Junior looks to grow music career

Dylan Carroll, a junior English major, has been playing guitar and singing since he was a child. Recently, he signed a contract with Marshall Street Records, a student-run record label on campus, and is hoping to release an EP as early as May. At SU, Carroll has performed at Funk ‘n Waffles open mic nights and at the Setnor School of Music’s “PRISM Concert.” He also works with Musicians on Call, an organization that brings musicians into hospitals to perform for patients. Carroll said, “It is such a rewarding feeling coming out of it every time. I always go into it hoping I can make at least one person smile or feel something that makes their day a little better.”

Dylan Kim | Staff Photographer

3. Campus printer reflects on time at SU

In the 18 years she has worked for SU, Maribeth Schoeneck has seen all four of her children attend and graduate from the university. For her first 15 years, Schoeneck worked in the Shaffer Art Building helping art students print their projects. Now she works at Schine Copy Center helping students of all majors and across various departments. She said she has learned much from students even while she helped them and enjoys seeing students grow throughout the years. Her job is rewarding, she said, and she likes knowing she made life a easier for someone at the end of the day.

102815_P_WW_AlexaDiaz__

Alexa Diaz | Opinions Editor

4. Film fraternity to make documentary on youth violence

Delta Kappa Alpha, a recently-formed film fraternity on campus, started the process of producing their first film this month. The film will focus on violence in Syracuse and how it affects youth and local communities. DKA partnered with the Syracuse Youth Development Council (SYDC) to produce the project, which they hope will enlighten students about the realities of youth violence. SYDC co-president Rachel Brown-Weinstock said she hopes that increasing awareness will lead to engagement in the community.

5. Columnist pushes for more open-mindedness

Sex and Health columnist Alex Archambault shared her thoughts on the backlash to her column this week. She said she received a variety of reactions to her previous piece on blowjobs, some supportive and some negative, but overall she felt that she was sexualized for opening up. Women should be able to talk about sex, she said, without being chastised. She said in the gender-equal world college-age students want, both men and women would be able to talk candidly about their sex lives without fear of reprimand or sexualization.