Week In Review

Week in News: Veteran-focused medical school report, Joanie Mahoney and more

As part of the faculty advisory committee's report into the feasibility of a veteran-focused medical school at SU, many concerns were raised over the financial stability of the school.

1. Faculty advisory committee finishes report on veteran-focused medical school

The committee, which Chancellor Kent Syverud created to explore the idea of creating a veteran-focused medical school, submitted its report in late October. The report urged for caution in the decision on the medical school and showed that it would provide an economic boost. It examined how the medical school would affect other resources, and many faculty members responded with skepticism.

More: Veteran-focused medical school

veteran-illo-for-web1

Dani Pendergast | Contributing Illustrator

2. Joanie Mahoney elected for 3rd term as Onondaga County executive

Joanie Mahoney (R-I) gathered almost 60 percent of votes to beat out Toby Shelley (D-C-Ref) in the run for Onondaga County executive Tuesday. This will be Mahoney’s third term as county executive. She ran unopposed when she was elected for her second term. In her first race for the position in 2007, she ran against Democrat Bill Magnarelli and won with 58 percent of the vote.

More: Joanie Mahoney

110415_N_FPfeaturephotoelection_ChaseGuttman_APE

Chase Guttman | Asst. Photo Editor

3. A look back at SU’s response to THE General Body sit-in

THE General Body stayed in Crouse-Hinds Hall for an 18-day sit-in starting on Nov. 3, 2014, bringing with it a 45-page list of grievances and demands. One year later, The Daily Orange took a look how the SU administration responded.

More: THE General Body

110614_N_PressConference_FrankiePrijatek_APE

Frankie Prijatel | Staff Photographer

4. Syverud weighs in on status of veteran-focused medical school

Chancellor Kent Syverud said the university could play a part in the city’s economic revitalization if it chooses to pursue a veteran-focused medical school at Wednesday evening’s University Senate meeting. Also at the meeting, the University Senate LGBT Concerns Committee said there needs to be a system for student-athletes to anonymously report harassment.

More: University Senate meeting

01142014_N_SyverudDOM_ChaseGaewski_ME1

5. Student Association debates including the race of suspects in DPS public safety notices

Responses at the Student Association meeting on Monday were mixed during a discussion on whether it would be appropriate for the Department of Public Safety to include ethnicity and race in suspect descriptions in its public safety notice emails. SA President Aysha Seedat thought to ask DPS Chief Bobby Maldonado about the issue after reading a letter to the editor published by The Daily Orange on Oct. 28. The letter argued that including ethnicity in the notices would be beneficial.

More: Student Association meeting

110315_N_SA_ChaseGuttman_APE

Chase Guttman | Asst. Photo Editor