Timeline of Taco Time’s evolution

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Syracuse didn't manage to score the 70 points needed for Taco Time against Lehigh on Friday, but they did win.

Taco Time in the Carrier Dome began in 1995 and this season marks the 20th anniversary of the promotion that’s become a tradition. Check out this timeline of Taco Time’s evolution:

1980s — Syracuse legends Sherman Douglas and Derrick Coleman play three seasons as teammates from 1986-89. Burger King had a promotion in the 80s that fans could redeem for free french fries when SU scored over 100 points at home, which occurred 12 times in that span.

1995-96 — Before Michael Veley’s first season as marketing director for SU Athletics, he creates a promotion with Taco Bell that when Syracuse scores more than 75 points, fans can redeem a free taco at participating restaurants.

2004 — Taco Time is added at women’s basketball games but the benchmark to redeem free tacos is 65 points compared to 75 for men’s. It’s designed to be attainable to drive more fans to Taco Bell.

2008 — An online survey asks SU students to rate their favorite promotion at men’s basketball games. Taco Time received more than double the number of votes as any other choice.

Aug. 2012The Taco Bell in Kimmel Food Court is closed and replaced with Queso’s. Taco Bell no longer has a restaurant on campus but the nearest one to the Carrier Dome is just 5 miles away.

Feb. and March 2013 — Nike creates T-shirts that say “We want tacos.” They are discontinued after just two seasons despite successful sales at the SU Bookstore.

Nov. 2015 — Number of points in order to reach Taco Time is bumped from 75 to 70 at men’s games. Despite a prior miscommunication by SU Athletics, it remains 65 for women’s games.

Nov. 17, 2015 — Men’s basketball team scores over 70 points to reach Taco Time in a win over St. Bonaventure. This is the 320th Taco Time.