Scott Shafer Fired

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer fired, will coach final game vs. Boston College

Scott Shafer has reportedly been fired but will coach his final game for Syracuse against Boston College.

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer has been fired, SU Athletics confirmed Monday morning. Shafer will still coach the Orange when it plays Boston College in its final regular season game on Saturday.

SU is 3-8 and riding an eight-game losing streak, its longest since 2005. Shafer took over as head coach in 2013 and went 13-23 in 36 games as Syracuse’s head coach.

“I want to thank Scott, his wife Missy, and their family for their seven years of dedication and service to SU Athletics and Syracuse University,” Director of Athletics Mark Coyle said in a statement. “Scott has worked tirelessly to educate our students on and off the field and to build our program. However, I feel a change in leadership is needed at this time. A national search will begin immediately.”

Shafer was the Orange’s defensive coordinator from 2009-12. After former head coach Doug Marrone left to take the Buffalo Bills’ head coaching job, he was promoted to head coach.

Syracuse Director of Athletics Mark Coyle was hired in June and said he’d take time to evaluate the Orange’s football program at his introductory press conference.

“I’ve got to come in here and take a look at what we’re doing,” Coyle said on June 22. “I promise you, we’ll give it every ounce of energy we have.”

On Saturday, Shafer was called for a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for yelling at a ref, for the second week in a row, in Syracuse’s 42-29 loss to North Carolina State. On the final question of his postgame press conference was asked if he’s discussed the penalties with Coyle.

“No, hell no,” Shafer said, before walking away visibly irritated.