Syracuse football primer: What to know for N.C. State week

Chase Guttman | Asst. Photo Editor

Steve Ishmael grabs the helmet of Zack Mahoney to celebrate a touchdown against No. 1 Clemson on Saturday.

Syracuse (3-7, 1-5 Atlantic Coast) is coming off a 37-27 loss to No. 1 Clemson last Saturday and is gearing up to visit North Carolina State (6-4, 2-4) this upcoming Saturday at 12:30 p.m. The game will be broadcast on the ACC Network.

Follow all of The Daily Orange’s football coverage here or on Twitter @DOSports.

Middle of the pack

While N.C. State’s 6-4 record is above .500, four of those wins have come against Troy, Eastern Kentucky, Old Dominion and South Alabama. The other two came against Wake Forest, a team Syracuse beat in Week 2, and Boston College, a team that is 0-7 in conference play.

When the Wolfpack met the Orange in 2014, N.C. State won 24-17. SU held a 14-9 lead until late in the third quarter when North Carolina State returned an AJ Long interception 82 yards for a score.

Quarterback Jacoby Brissett is fifth in the ACC in passing yards with 2,007, running back Matt Dayes is fourth in the conference with 865 rushing yards and defensive end Mike Rose leads the ACC with 10 sacks.

Next man up

The Orange’s two-deep depth chart featured changes at defensive end and strong-side linebacker. Senior Rony Charles replaced suspended freshman Qaadir Sheppard as a backup defensive end. Sophomore linebacker Parris Bennett is not listed on the depth chart as junior Ted Taylor moved up to the first string at strong-side linebacker. Sophomore Jonathan Thomas moved up to the second string.

Syracuse’s offense featured no changes on the two-deep depth chart and freshman Eric Dungey is again listed as the starting quarterback. He missed the Clemson game with a head injury he sustained against Louisville the prior week.

Injury report

Freshman running back Jordan Fredericks left the Clemson game in the second quarter with an upper-body injury and had a sling on his arm after the game, SU head coach Scott Shafer said.

Seven players — Dungey, Bennett, wide receiver Sean Avant, cornerback Corey Winfield, defensive end Luke Arciniega, safety Daivon Ellison and tight end Kendall Moore — missed the Clemson game due to injuries. Their statuses for N.C. State is unknown.