Letters to the Editor

Student expresses safety concerns

After the recent incidents, students raised concerns about safety and security. Chief Maldonado of the university’s Department of Public Safety attempted to address students’ questions in a town meeting. Chief, your responses left me with doubts about my safety.

You didn’t answer my questions, Chief Maldonado. I, being the collective voice that looked to you for reassurance. But it felt like you had never experienced the fears, pains and frustrations that arise from the campus experience and the threats I face on a daily basis.

You didn’t answer my question when I asked why DPS allowed hateful, racially charged tweets to target a university event dealing with sensitive problems facing the African-American community. I told you these tweets made me feel threatened. I can’t trust my peers right now because any one of them could be the voice of this hatred. You told me to “ignore ignorance.” I wish law enforcement wouldn’t have ignored Dylan Roof’s “ignorance.” Racism should be unacceptable to SU, period. Why is that so hard to say?

You didn’t answer my question when I asked what DPS was doing to help me protect myself from sexual assaults. I explained that my little can of pepper spray was thrown away by a DPS officer since pepper spray is banned on campus (even though it is non-lethal and provides an effective safety measure for potential victims).

You told me I should walk in a group, rather than alone. Chief, how do you not know that I am more likely to be sexually assaulted by someone that I know? That my assailant is statistically more likely to be in the group that is “protecting” me. You also told me not to walk in the dark. So should my fear fluctuate with the hour or minute hand? Why does the department have a policy to take away my self-protection, but no policy to empower me to protect myself?

Chief Maldonado, respectfully, the grace period is over. In the last three weeks, how many serious incidents have there been on or around campus? You told me “DPS is in a customer service industry.” Well consider this “a less than favorable” Yelp review. I need more from you. I need honest, thoughtful responses to address the concerns I have about my safety. Surely, my tuition has bought me that.

Taylor B. Martin ‘18