Letters to the Editor

Student encourages community to attend public hearing on energy

Do you consume energy in New York? Have you participated in New York’s Reforming Energy Vision (REV); have you even heard about it? It’s critical, concerning the future of New York’s energy industry. We’ll either spend billions updating current energy infrastructure, continuing business as usual, or make New York an efficient, renewable, environmentally responsible energy consumer. The Public Service Commission (PSC) is accepting comments and holding a public hearing Wednesday, Nov. 18 at Clary Middle School. The government, finally, claims to want to hear what we think. It’s our duty to declare the planet can’t handle business as usual.

Demand efficient, affordable, renewable energy. We need to divest from fossil fuels. New York is hypocritical regarding natural gas. We ban fracking, but buy fracked gas? Why do we keep giving tax dollars to failing, polluting coal plants? Take a hint: practice what we preach, and move on. Imagine a renewably run future. Now share that vision with the PSC. Demand at least 50 percent energy be renewable by 2025. This is achievable. New York has the resources. The sun, wind, water, waves and heat under our feet and more can be used for sustainable energy measures. Encourage renewable energies, smart and micro grids. Create New York jobs; stimulate local economies!

Demand energy-related climate pollution reductions, at least 80 percent, by 2050, with stricter policies. Monetary policy like a cap-and-trade needs to be implemented. Polluting plants need to be penalized for pollution damage and given incentives to modernize. A cap-and-trade would regulate and allot the amount of pollution each plant could emit, and companies could trade emission allowance for money internally. The future is coming; get your say in it.

Go to www.nypirg.com/climatechange to learn more and submit your public comment! See you all Wednesday, 7 p.m., 100 Amidon Dr. (in the auditorium).

Nina Hilmarsdottir- Puetzer ‘18