From the Studio

Singer performs at open mic nights, on musical theater stage

Dylan Kim | Staff Photographer

Suheli Ray identifies as an acoustic songwriter, playing both original songs and covers.

Sophomore Suheli Ray calls singing “her boyfriend” and the stage “her home.”

The acting major’s big imagination is what sparked her passion for performance, singing and theater, she said. She has been singing since she was very young, began vocal lessons in seventh grade and has been acting in shows since she was in third grade.

At Syracuse University, Ray can been found performing at the Syracuse Stage/SU Drama Complex, Funk ‘n Waffles and at Jerk Magazine release parties.

When Ray is singing, she enjoys collaborating with friends and family, but also likes singing solo as a form of personal expression and accomplishment.

Ray finds that writing her own lyrics is beneficial because it compensates for the difficulty she has conveying her emotions verbally.

“… It’s just much easier for me,” Ray said. “I like writing songs that flow out, and people like listening to stories through songs rather than hearing people talking about it.”

Not only does Ray sing and act, but she is also passionate about playing various instruments. Since second grade, she has been playing piano, and soon after, took on guitar, violin and flute.

It was Ray’s preteen idolization of Taylor Swift that prompted her to learn guitar. Like Swift, she primarily writes her own songs on either guitar or piano.

“I love writing my own songs because instruments are my biggest stress reliever,” Ray said. “I like playing music when I’m feeling sick and afterwards I just feel better immediately.”

Ray considers herself an acoustic songwriter. When she performs, she plays both originals and covers. Ray said performing familiar covers helps the audience stay involved and tuned in.

Before college, Ray participated in many select choirs, singing districts, theater productions and sang at high school sporting events.

The singer looks to her mother for personal inspiration; she used to always sing around the house and wanted to be a singer in New York.

Ray’s older sister is also a major figure she looks up to. Like her mother, Ray’s sister would sing around the house too. The sister duo has been collaborating on songs and harmonies together now for over three years.

Ray tends to focus on artists who write songs about topics that are emotionally touching and contain a positive message. She also looks to artists who have a strong stage presence and who perform with a lot of soul.

With everyone in her family working in the medical field, Ray’s parents are always encouraging her to go into medicine. Ray instead has chosen to prioritize her musical passions — her happiness is more valuable to her than earning a lot of money.

Even on Ray’s worst days, performing never fails to bring happiness into her life. She said once she’s in the zone, her negative feelings evaporate. Ray’s central piece of advice to fellow rising artists is to seize any opportunity and go for it.

“If you are so passionate about something, don’t wait,” Ray said. “Do what you want to do because you only have one life.”