University Politics

Seedat to meet with SU director of athletics to discuss student athletic fee

Student Association President Aysha Seedat will be meeting Wednesday with Syracuse University director of athletics Mark Coyle to discuss the potential for a student athletic fee.

Last month, SA and Otto’s Army created a joint committee to create a proposal for a $100 student athletic fee, which would replace the way students currently buy season tickets for football and men’s basketball. The committee was composed of three SA assembly representatives and two Otto’s Army members.

Currently, students must pay $219 to the Carrier Dome Box Office for a combination of football and men’s basketball season tickets. If implemented, the athletic fee would be automatically charged to students, but Seedat has said she hopes students would have the ability to easily opt out of the fee if they don’t want season tickets.

Former SA President Boris Gresely originally proposed the idea for a student athletic fee last semester, but that proposal was put on hold after then-director of athletics Daryl Gross resigned in March. SU hired Coyle in June.