Scott Shafer on leaked info regarding suspension of 2 DEs: ‘I hate it. I hate it.’

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Scott Shafer blasted the anonymous source that leaked information regarding two suspended defensive ends Qaadir Sheppard and Amir Ealey.

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer was asked about how he responded to the suspensions of freshman defensive ends Qaadir Sheppard and Amir Ealey. The two were reportedly suspended due to a second violation of the Athletic Department’s drug policy. The news was first reported by Nate Mink of Syracuse.com on Wednesday.

“I think Nate did his job and did it well. You got information, that’s your job. And I respect your job, believe it or not. Sometimes you probably don’t think that’s true,” Shafer said. “But I will also say that I think it’s shameful in my opinion that any private information on an 18-year-old kid regarding information that’s leaked about whatever happened, I think that’s a cowardice, anonymous source in my opinion. I hate it. I hate it.”

Shafer went on to say that he supported the school’s policy and that he he hopes his student-athletes, speaking generally, learn from their mistakes.

“I think our policies are right and good,” Shafer said. “And I think our policies are right and good because they have the best interest of our young men and women in this program and the focus is running a program of great integrity. We’re embarrassed when our kids fail. We’re embarrassed, no different than my two children at home when they fail and make a bad decision it kills you, it beats you up.

“You rally, you try to help those kids help themselves. If they do, great, they learn great lessons that they can pass on to their children some day. If they don’t, they won’t be a part of the program.”