Scott Shafer Fired

Potential replacements for Scott Shafer as Syracuse’s head coach

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Scott Shafer was fired on Monday. The next head coach will reportedly decide whether to retain Shafer's staff. Here's a look at possible head coach replacements.

Scott Shafer has been fired as Syracuse’s head coach, a source confirmed to The Daily Orange Monday morning. The source also confirmed it will be up to the new head coach if he wants to retain any current staff, as first reported by Syracuse.com’s Nate Mink. Sports Illustrated’s Thayer Evans first reported Shafer’s firing.

Last time Director of Athletics Mark Coyle had to replace a football coach, it took him five days to do so at Boise State. Here are some potential replacements for Shafer at SU.

Scott Frost, Oregon offensive coordinator

The former quarterback won a national championship at Nebraska in 1997 and spent six years in the NFL. He’s been at Oregon since 2009, initially serving as the wide receivers coach and then as offensive coordinator for the past three seasons.

Mike Sanford, Notre Dame offensive coordinator

Sanford was Boise State’s offensive coordinator in 2014 and was at the school at the same time as Coyle. He took the Notre Dame job for this season. Prior to his time at Boise State, he spent five seasons at Stanford over two stints (2007-08 and 2011-13) and served as an offensive assistant working with quarterbacks and then as the running backs coach and later as the wide receivers and quarterbacks coach.

Joe Moglia, Coastal Carolina head coach

In four seasons at Coastal Carolina, Moglia has a 41-12 record. After spending 17 years at Merrill Lynch, he got back into coaching and has worked his way up after stints in the United Football League. In 1981, he published a book titled, “The Key to Winning Football: The Perimeter Attack Offense.”

Joe Moorhead, Fordham head coach

Prior to becoming Fordham’s head coach in 2012, Moorhead spent time at Akron and Connecticut. In five years at Akron, he served as offensive coordinator for two of them. At UConn from 2009-11, he split time as an offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Dave Warner, Michigan State co-offensive coordinator

Warner is in his third season as Michigan State co-offensive coordinator. Before 2013, he worked with MSU’s quarterbacks. He has been an offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach or passing game coordinator for 26 of his 31 years coaching. In 2014, MSU had its most prolific offense in school history setting numerous passing records.