University Politics

Members of committee to search for senior vice president of student affairs announced

The senior vice president of student affairs is responsible for strengthening the Division of Student Affairs' partnerships across the university and with external partners, and for overseeing the division's strategic planning, assessment and operations.

The members of a committee that will lead the search for a new senior vice president of student affairs at Syracuse University have been announced.

The 13-person committee will be chaired by University College Dean Bea González, who is also a special assistant to Chancellor Kent Syverud. Rebecca Reed Kantrowitz, who currently serves as senior vice president and dean of student affairs, will continue this role until the committee completes its search, according to an SU News release. Kantrowitz will then assume the role of vice president and dean of student affairs.

The 12 members aside from González are:

• Can Aslan, president of the Graduate Student Organization
• Colleen Bench, associate vice president for student engagement
• Andria Costello Staniec, associate provost for academic programs
• Paul Hagenloh, associate professor of history in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
• Huey Hsiao, associate director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs
• Dawn Johnson, associate professor in the School of Education and member of the University Senate Committee on Student Life
• Bobby Maldonado, chief of the Department of Public Safety
• Judy Mower, University Trustee and chair of the Board of Trustees’ Student Affairs Committee
• Amanda Nicholson, associate dean of undergraduate programs and professor of retail practice in the Martin J. Whitman School of Management
• Brittany Ortiz, junior television, radio and film major
• Aysha Seedat, Student Association president
• Cory Wallack, director of the Counseling Center

The role of the senior vice president of student affairs is to strengthen the Division of Student Affairs’ partnerships across the university and with external partners, according to the release. The vice president also oversees the strategic planning, assessment and operations of the division, according to the release.

An evaluation of SU by Bain & Company found that the university has continuously spent more money on raises and promotions for non-faculty salaries in the past seven years. Additionally, SU’s full-time administrative staff has grown by more than 400 percent, according to a study by the New England Center for Investigation Reporting.