NCAA Investigations

Jim Boeheim refuses to address NCAA ruling after win over Charlotte

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

The NCAA announced its ruling on Syracuse's sanctions appeal just hours before tipoff of SU's game against Charlotte in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament.

PARADISE ISLAND, Bahamas — Jim Boeheim made it clear from the first question of his postgame press conference that he had no interest in addressing the decision on Syracuse’s appeal of the sanctions placed on the program.

“We’re here to play basketball, Boeheim said at the first question. “We’re talking about basketball. Period,” he said to the second.

The NCAA announced Wednesday it would give Syracuse back one scholarship for each of the next four seasons. Previously, the Orange was forced to give up three scholarships for each of the next four seasons. SU was also awarded back $1.23 million the NCAA mistakenly forced the school to give up. But Boeheim would only talk about the Orange’s 83-70 win over Charlotte in the opening round of the Battle 4 Atlantis.

The scholarship situation does, however, possibly open up a player to be put on scholarship this season that wasn’t previously on scholarship. The likely candidate would be Christian White, who was on scholarship last season, but not this season due to the sanctions.

“I don’t think I’m in limbo at all,” White said after the game. “I don’t think there’s a decision to be made. If there’s a scholarship and I get it, that would be great. I’m just here to win this weekend.”

Syracuse.com reported White asked the Syracuse coaches to not play this season to preserve his eligibility as a senior so he could transfer and play at a different school next season. He said on Wednesday that if he were to be asked to play this season, he would, and said that the developing situation had no impact on that.

“I’m here to play,”White said. “If Coach calls my number and wants me to play, I’m going in the game. There’s no saying no.”