Style

Homan: Here’s where you should shop in Armory Square

Syracuse University students know Armory Square for its mouthwatering eateries. But Armory Square has more than just amazing cuisine — it is also the home to some great shopping. If you’re sick of the too-big-to-navigate Destiny USA, or more realistically, sick of online shopping from your dorm, take a bus ride downtown to find cool new additions to your wardrobe.
Here’s your go-to guide to the Square’s cutest boutiques:

Bounce

Located at 124 Walton St., Bounce seemed to be the trendiest store I visited. Its appearance, from the logo on the outside of the store to the cool warehouse-like interior, drew me in, but the clothes made me stay. From cool leather jackets to suede dresses and glitzy rompers, this boutique had a chic, edgy vibe that I fell in love with. On the downside, it was a bit too pricey. Carrying brands like Free People and other labels you’d typically see in a high-end department store, most items were priced between $70 and $170. If you have the money, this would definitely be a great place to spend it.

Frankie & Faye

If you’re looking for a less expensive option, check out Frankie & Faye at 317 S. Franklin St. Everything in the store was under $49. The ambiance of this boutique was cozy and stylish but less high fashion than some of the others; it is perfect for the girl-next-door type of customer. The can’t-miss item at Frankie & Faye is the fleece-lined legging. These leggings are only $19, come in an array of dark colors and are incredibly warm and soft, making them potentially the best leggings on the market for freezing Syracuse temperatures.

Midnight Sun

When you walk into this boutique, the smell of incense and sale of housewares like dreamcatchers and Tibetan Singing Bowls may throw you off, but be sure to stay to check out their snuggly sweaters and jackets. The style of this store reminded me of Anthropologie, but the pricing was much more reasonable, typically ranging from $50-70. If you have bohemian style, love the earth or just want some faux fur and fun fringe details in your wardrobe, stop by 406 S. Franklin St.

Jet Black

This high-end boutique at 129 Walton St. was filled with designer labels like Rebecca Taylor, Vince, Theory and J Brand. As such, most items cost upward of $300, with some pieces, like coats and genuine leather products, hitting over $1,000. When I saw four-digit price tags, I almost walked right out, but luckily, there’s are huge rolling sales racks filled with clothes and denim that were all 80 percent off the original price. Shoes were also an entire 80 percent off as well. I immediately whipped out my phone calculator and was glued to it the rest of the time in the store, incredibly impressed with the deals. The sales associate said that the 80 percent off sale would last a while, although she couldn’t specify its exact end date. When you’re in Armory, don’t pass this one up, but maybe go straight to the sales.

Etcetera

Located at 191 Walton St., Etcetera is the go-to boutique for accessories. It had an eclectic mix of styles from preppy to edgy, so there is something for everyone. Most jewelry items were priced between $15 and $40, and bags were around $80. The standout items at this store are the JoJo Rings, handcrafted rings made from upcycled keys. The rings are $35, but each is unique and one-of-a-kind. Etcetera is the place to go for cool accessories you won’t find anywhere else.

Most students know about Armory Square, but most don’t go there as often as they should. Before it gets too cold, grab your friends and take a trip to the Square. If you don’t have a car, it’s only a free Connective Corridor bus ride away. From Walton Street to South Franklin, I recommend checking out every single boutique. And if you still don’t find anything you like? There’s an Urban Outfitters around the corner.

Jackie Homan is a sophomore magazine journalism major. You can email her at [email protected] or follow her @jackie_homan on Twitter.