Generation Y

Gala: Majority of population has herpes, not harmful despite stigma

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), you probably have herpes.

Results from a recent WHO study found that two-thirds of the global population under the age of 50 has oral herpes (HSV-1). That’s 3.7 billion people, excluding the additional 14 million ages 17 to 49 with genital herpes (HSV-2).

Medically, herpes is pretty insignificant. A lucky 90 percent of those infected never show symptoms. Socially, it might as well be a death sentence. The most devastating part of the diagnosis is not related to the infection itself, but to the internalization of social stigmas associated with having the virus.

For many people, STIs are the modern-day scarlet letter and herpes is the lowest of the low. The virus is considered a permanent punishment for promiscuity and the carrier is seen as damaged goods. Post-diagnosis, confidence comes crashing down and perceived romantic stock value plummets.

This overreaction was seen last week when a student from University of Michigan made 5,000 fliers to publically humiliate a student-athlete who she says gave her chlamydia — an STI that can be cured with an antibiotic, just like strep throat. Like herpes, chlamydia doesn’t really matter, but they didn’t cover that in health class. Instead, they teach an irrationality that makes honesty hard by isolating those infected and discouraging conversation.

The social stigma surrounding herpes is not rooted in medical reality. Besides abstinence, there is little to be done to protect against the virus. Many people contract HSV-1 during childhood. Herpes spreads through any skin-to-skin contact, including kissing, rubbing and sex — oral or otherwise — despite condoms.

Basically, outbreaks involve potentially painful and recurrent cold sores either above or below the belt. Most people never experience an outbreak and some only have one. For the less-fortunate bunch with periodic symptoms, antivirals can help. Over time, the number, severity and duration decrease naturally.

Yes, herpes is forever — just like chickenpox and mono. There are actually eight types of Human Herpesviruses, though the STIs get all the attention. Human Herpesvirus is a category of infections that low-key remains in your cells and can resurface at any time. This is why some people unknowingly infect others since it can be contagious even without showing symptoms. That’s all it means to have this type of virus.

The majority of the world lives in ignorant bliss about their herpes. Carriers even celebrate clean STI test results since screenings do not look for the virus. Herpes has such little impact on overall health that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends blood testing only for those with symptoms or an infected partner.

Education is the key to progress, but to teach we must talk. Colleges have long been vocal on topics that no one wants to talk about. In the past, they have facilitated discussions to encourage safe sex and empower victims of sexual assault. Now, it’s time they lead a more realistic discussion about STIs.

Fear tactics are not effective means of STI prevention and only serve to diminish discussion, understanding and sensitivity. Through a more authentic conversation, people would be more willing to get tested for STIs, those infected would feel less shameful and partners could be more upfront about sexual health.

Social stigmas make it hard to talk openly about STIs. But the truth is, most people already have herpes — and quite frankly, it’s just not that big of a deal.

Getting people to see the truth is an uphill battle. We need more than sex-ed. We need a full-blown attitude adjustment.

Alison Gala is a senior public relations major and Spanish minor. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @alison_gala.