No. 44

Floyd Little to be honored with No. 44 statue: ‘That’s huge for me’

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Floyd Little will be honored with a state at the No. 44 Plaza Ceremony on Saturday. He has only gotten a glimpse of the statue so far.

Floyd Little got a glimpse of the structure that will forever enshrine him on the Syracuse University campus. A look, just to see, before a ceremony on Saturday would make its existence official. A statue of Little that people will walk by and always know what he meant to the football program and the school.

He wanted his look to be quick. He wanted the moment on Saturday to still feel novel, as if he was seeing it for the first time, just like everybody else.

“To see a statue,” Little said, before pausing. “I don’t know how to feel, because it’s something that’s totally different. To realize that you’ve lived long enough to see a statue of you on the campus of Syracuse University in perpetuity. All the kids for years to come will be able to see an image of me on the campus. That’s huge for me.”

On Saturday at 11:45 a.m. outside the Ensley Athletic Center, Little will be honored along with Jim Brown and the late Ernie Davis. Each will have a statue side by side in what is being dubbed Plaza 44. When the groundbreaking took place in May, the school announced the restoration of the No. 44 out of retirement, but its future has been in ambiguity ever since.

Later in the day at 3:30 p.m., Syracuse (3-6, 1-4 Atlantic Coast) will host No. 1 Clemson (9-0, 6-0) in the Carrier Dome. It’s a moment that Little says is a “separate entity” from the festivities that morning. And one he’s looking forward to because his entire extended family will be there to support him.

“To be able to go back and honor our three great legends of 44 … is sensational,” Cliff Ensley said. “Floyd was always my hero and still is.”

Director of Athletics Mark Coyle and Chancellor Kent Syverud will both be in attendance. Brown had yet to  respond about his attendance as of Monday afternoon, but Little said he’d love for the fellow Syracuse icon to come.

Regardless, Little said being cemented in Syracuse history next to two other No. 44 legends is all that he could ask for.

“It’s important we recognize some of the heroes,” Little said. “It’s like the Pro Football Hall of Fame, to honor the heroes of the game. That’s what this is all about. Honoring the heroes of the game.”