Music

Damle: A college kid’s Thanksgiving break in songs

Thanksgiving break, especially for ‘Cuse students, is a lengthy one. It’s a refreshing week off before the inferno that is finals week commences, but there are just some experiences most college kids can’t seem to avoid during a brief stop back home. Here’s a playlist that takes you through the week’s ups and downs:

The song you listen to when you see people from high school that you really don’t feel like seeing

“No Such Thing” – John Mayer

From the college kid perspective, this song is basically about coming back to your hometown and telling everyone who didn’t believe in you to go f*ck themselves. John Mayer’s voice and warm guitar send out serious holiday vibes too.

The song you listen to when you bump into that guy from high school that you’re not completely over

“The Trouble With Love Is” – Kelly Clarkson

I think the title speaks for itself. Despite the gushy content in the song, it’s also just a warm and fuzzy throwback to the “Love Actually” soundtrack, even though it’s not quite Christmas yet.

The song that you need for when you come home drunk the night before Thanksgiving and accidentally wake the whole family up

“Sorry” – Justin Bieber

You haven’t been home in a few months, you forgot to turn off the alarm, OK?

The song your parents exemplify when they’re making sure your house is spotless for Thanksgiving

“Our House” – Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

At least on Thanksgiving (if you’re hosting), your house “is a very, very fine house,” whether or not you have “two cats in the yard.” Just roll with it. It’s how your mom wants everyone to feel and it’s probably true if you’re a nice kid and listen to your mother when she asks you to vacuum.

The song you need to hear when everyone in the family shows up super late and you’re getting hangry, but your mom sneaks you some food

“You’re All I Need To Get By” – Tammi Terrell and Marvin Gaye

I don’t know about you guys, but the lyrics to this song are my internal monologue when the food is ready and smells delicious, but your family that lives the town over and was “on their way” three hours ago has yet to show up.

The song you need to hear when you’re about to OD on Thanksgiving dinner

“Save Room” – John Legend

John Legend croons, “save room for my love,” and that’s some advice you really need to heed if you don’t want to miss out on pie.

The song that you need when you have to pretend to like your aunt’s tofu casserole

“I Don’t Like It, I Love It” – Flo Rida feat. Robin Thicke & Verdine White

Sometimes it’s OK to exaggerate for the sake of keeping the family happy during the holidays.

The song you need to get through the crowds during Black Friday shopping when people in the mall get way too aggressive

“Physical” – Olivia Newton-John

If you’ve ever been to a mall on the East Coast, you know you’re going to have to fight for your life.

The song that represents the chaos that ensues at your house after someone decides to discuss politics

“Another Brick in the Wall” – Pink Floyd

All we were trying to do was play an innocent game of Pictionary, but nope, somebody had to mention Donald Trump.

The song you want to blast at your mother at the end of break

“No Woman, No Cry” – Fugees

For when you have to go back to school and your mom gets sad about you leaving, even though you’ll be home again in just a few weeks.

Isha Damle is a junior television, radio, film major. She rarely knows the actual lyrics to songs, but is good at faking it until she makes it. Plus, her version is probably better. She can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @ishadamle.