Gender and Sexuality

Crockett: Scouting programs should remain separate, still uphold equality between programs

In Northern California, five kids want to join the Boy Scouts because they admire what the organization stands for and want to be part of the legacy. The only problem is they are all girls.

The girls, who are calling themselves the “Unicorns,” went before a panel of Boy Scout leaders earlier this month as a part of their ongoing fight to join the group. The Unicorns do not want to join the Girl Scouts, because they feel the Boy Scout curriculum is more in tune to their interests with its number of “action-packed” activities.

But in response to their applications, local Vice President Herb Williams told the San Francisco Chronicle, “There is no provision for girls in Boy Scouts. That’s a fact. It’s been a fact for 100 years.”

While gender inclusivity is important, it should be respected that the Boy Scouts of America has intended to serve boys and young men for the past century. The group should not have to change its requirements just to accommodate girls now when there are alternative opportunities, including coed scout organizations, that girls can join.

In an era where there is an awareness of gender as a construct and there are some provisions made for equality many people may be put off by the idea that girls are not allowed in the Boy Scouts. But the rule isn’t necessarily sexist or discriminate as much as it acknowledges and nurtures differences in young men and women.

This is because the Girl and Boy Scouts have the right to stay separate under their discretion, for the same reason why people have the right to choose single-sex bathrooms over coed bathrooms — it all comes down to preference.

What is problematic, however, are people who believe girls shouldn’t join the Boy Scouts because they will emasculate the boys.

For those who are against girls joining the Boy Scouts for this reason, they should remember that healthy interactions between girls and boys at a young age can help them maintain better relationships as adults. Opportunities in which girls can practice leadership over boys will inspire girls to feel confident about asserting themselves in any capacity — from school to the workforce and beyond.

In fact, some parents have argued that allowing the girls into the troop would create competition if the girls attained leadership positions, according to ABC News.

But the idea that girls may very well desire leadership positions should be something that is celebrated in our culture. While we have yet to have a female president, and most CEOs in America are men, there will always be a need for young women to aspire to lead.

That being said, there needs to be a healthy balance — a balance that can be maintained separately. Though gender exclusive, the organizations should seek to empower youth as well as incorporate the education and understanding of the unique challenges that are presented to each gender. This will honor the history of both organizations while ensuring the best gender-specific development by teaching equality and skills to boys and girls in independent environments.

Activities like camping, fishing and other outdoor ventures are not gender-specific. Instead of seeking to join the Boy Scouts, the Unicorns should suggest the kinds of activities they would like to do either in Girl Scouts, or another scouting program of their choice, including coed scouts.

Respecting and adhering to the Boy Scouts’ wishes does not mean the girls are supporting discrimination. Instead they are acknowledging that while the Boy Scouts is an organization for boys, the Unicorns can create spaces where their needs will be met without disrupting the history of others.

Elaina Crockett is a senior television, radio and film major and African American studies minor. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].