Boeheim discusses investment in student apartment complex #BLVD404

Nate Shron | Staff Photographer

Jim Boeheim, who was a resident adviser when he was a graduate student at Syracuse University, said he wanted to invest in a new student apartment complex because the project founders are nice, and he thinks their idea will be successful.

Jim Boeheim lived in Watson Hall for a year and Kimmel Hall for three years as an undergraduate at Syracuse University.

He didn’t mind dorm living, he said, but he said he thinks student apartments will be the housing of the future around college campuses.

As a result, Boeheim is an investor in #BLVD404, a new student apartment complex being built at 404 University Ave. Boeheim said he met the creators of the luxury apartment project through a friend. All three project founders are SU alumni. Construction is expected to be completed this summer, and students can lease for the fall 2016 semester.

“I’m a small participant in this. I’m a basketball coach,” Boeheim said. “I just think it’s a good idea. I think it’ll be good for the campus.”

Boeheim said the biggest difference in housing from when he was a student is that the Skytop Apartments didn’t exist when he was in school. He lived in a dormitory for four years as an undergraduate and was a resident adviser as a graduate student, he said.

He said dorms are all right, but said they’re more a thing of the past, and student apartments are the thing of the future where students have their own bedroom.

He said he doesn’t typically invest much in outside projects, adding that his investment in #BLVD404 isn’t a moneymaking project. But, he said, he thinks the project founders are nice people, and he believes their idea will be successful.

“I’m invested in Hoffman’s Hot Dogs because I want to keep Hoffman’s here,” Boeheim said. “I never really try to make money outside of coaching. I think it’s hard to do that. You should stick with what you know.”