Beat writers predict outcome of Syracuse-Charlotte

Russ Scalf | Contributing Photographer

Michael Gbinije and Syracuse face Charlotte at 2:30 in the Battle 4 Atlantis in Paradise Island, Bahamas.

Syracuse tips off its first game in Paradise Island, Bahamas at 2:30 against Charlotte on Wednesday. The 49ers and Orange have one common opponent, Elon, who Charlotte lost to by 11 and SU beat by the same margin.

Here’s how our beat writers think Syracuse will fare in its fourth game of the season.

Sam Blum (3-0)
Syracuse 75, Charlotte 58
Burying the lede

The news of Syracuse’s appeal came just hours before the Orange was set to take the court against Charlotte. Now, the first game of the Battle 4 Atlantis is almost an afterthought compared to the long-term benefits that added scholarships bring. Still the Orange wins.

Jesse Dougherty (3-0)
Syracuse 73, Charlotte 67
Not a beach week

The real start of the Battle 4 Atlantis is Syracuse’s first road game of the season, and it doesn’t help that it’s sunshine and beaches outside of the walls of the gym. Because of that, the Orange comes out a little flat and let’s Charlotte stick around longer than it should. The better team wins, but it’s certainly not in convincing fashion.

Matt Schneidman (3-0)
Syracuse 65, Charlotte 54
Under the sea

I don’t think tacos exist under water, anyway. Regardless, Syracuse finds a way to beat an inferior 49ers team despite a lackluster day from behind the arc, just like it found a way against St. Boaventure and Elon. Now the big boys come to play tomorrow when the Orange will get its first real test of the season.