From the Runway

4 outfits inspired by the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show filming

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

Before The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show airs on Dec. 8, add some outfits to your wardrobe like this look inspired by Kendall Jenner.

The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show is always a spectacle. It’s full of celebrities, top models, a lot of lights and outrageous lingerie.

In my all-girls high school growing up, girls would obsess over which model was their favorite and which lingerie set they wanted as their own. Even the guys I knew would take time out of their schedule to watch the scantily clad models saunter down the runway. I never really understood the appeal, but now I do – it’s all about sex appeal. There’s nothing sexier than seeing a beautiful model walk around and have fun in her underwear on stage, on national TV.

But what may be more entertaining than the models themselves, is what they’re wearing. Never before has there been lingerie so bold and outrageously garish. And every year, they seem to become more over-the-top than the last. There’s always flowers, fur, feathers, thigh-high boots and wings. For those of you who want to be an angel, here are some ways you can incorporate the spectacle that is the VSFS into your own wardrobe.

Fierce and Floral – inspired by Kendall Jenner’s fiery cape

111715_P_FTR2_DorisHuang_SP

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

For some, florals can come off as too feminine, and so they avoid them like the plague. But when done in bold primary hues, florals can make you look modern and edgy. Go with a larger print to make the flowers seem more abstract and don’t shy away from a floral that has other elements in it – stripes, bold lines, dots or contrasting colors. You can experiment with silhouettes to really create the look you’re going for – looser for more feminine or more structured for a power-woman look.

La Bohème – inspired by Behati Prinsloo’s Bohemian ensemble

111715_P_FTR3_DorisHuang_SP copy

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

It’s time to channel your inner Vanessa Hudgens from the early 2000s because the Bohemian style will never go away. Stick with looser silhouettes and earthy tones for an instant flower child look. Intricate paisley and mandala prints add a focal point for your outfit, and their colors instantly brighten it up. Shake things up with lace, fringe or suede, which will also give your outfit some much needed texture.

Brilliant Butterfly – inspired by Gigi Hadid’s green wings

111715_P_FTR_DorisHuang_SP1

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

For this look we’re not telling you to don the butterfly print leggings you wore when you were 7, but rather embrace the best part of the butterfly: its wings. By wearing a large printed scarf or cape over your shoulders, you recreate the appearance of wings, while also brightening up your outfit and keeping warm. Don’t be afraid to wear more intricate patterns, but subtler solid color scarves can work just as well.

Majestic White – inspired by Elsa Hosk’s glittery gold

111715_P_FTR4_DorisHuang_SP

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

The general rule used to be not wear white after Labor Day, but that was thrown out of the books ages ago. Wearing white from head to toe adds a sophisticated element to your ensemble. It helps you appear put together and polished, all just by wearing one color. This look is extremely versatile, as you can wear white skinny jeans and a sweater, or loose trousers and a flowing blouse.

When embracing these Victoria’s Secret Angels looks, just remember what you really need to channel is their confidence. Your outfits, much like their lingerie, will make you look cool and collected, and you need to feel that way too. That’s Victoria’s Secret.