Scott Shafer Fired

10 quotes from former Syracuse RB Prince-Tyson Gulley on Scott Shafer’s firing

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Director of Athletics Mark Coyle fired Scott Shafer on Monday morning. He will coach his last game for SU against Boston College this Saturday.

Syracuse fired head coach Scott Shafer on Monday morning though he will coach his final game on Saturday against Boston College. Former SU running back Prince-Tyson Gulley played for the Orange from 2010-2014 and spoke with The Daily Orange about Shafer.

Here are 10 of Gulley’s quotes from that conversation:

“We’ve been discussing a lot of things as alumni. I just feel like this is one of the problems with why Syracuse can never get to the point that we can get, is because every 3-4 years we are switching coach.”

“Shafer, they just need to give him a chance to build the program. Me knowing him personally, if he would be able to get enough time just to mold these kids and get a full at least five or six years … he has to create the culture that he wants.”

“This is what great coaches do, they look at the team that they already have and they build within. They build from what they have. Most coaches nowadays, they come on in and they clean out.”

“What I will say is if the next coach comes in and tries to build from what he already has, then maybe something happens.”

“Honestly, the reason why Shafer should’ve been able to stay is because they should let him build that culture. It’s gonna be slow.”

“I understand it’s a results business, but results take time in this game. All the big teams, they’ve had rocky roads but they’ve figured it out. We’ve had too many rocky roads and we still haven’t figured it out. What have we learned?”

“Someone has to look in-depth of this program, really in-depth into the program. If there was a coaching change, obviously they already made that choice. We need to look deeper.”

“To be truthfully honest with you, I love Coach Shafer, but a big name would work out perfect.”

“My last season there, we were terrible on offense. I’ve seen the life in this offense.”

“Honestly, we got to trust (Director of Athletics Mark Coyle). We’ve got to trust him, that he knows exactly what he’s doing, because it’s already done.”