week in review

Week in Pulp: Jazz musician, Bob Dylan book

Anna Leach | Contributing Photographer

A glimpse of Tracey Baum-Wicks' magical camper.

This week, Pulp brought you a former director of jazz studies who is still going strong, a SU connection to a Bob Dylan book and the leak of a major fashion line. Check out these stories and more in this “Week in Pulp.” Click on the headings or orange text to see the full story.

1. Former VPA jazz director looks back on career

At 82 years old, Joe Riposo has had a long and interesting career since he first picked up a clarinet at age 10. The former director of jazz studies at SU’s Visual and Performing Arts school worked with the likes of Dizzy Gillespie, Natalie and Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald and Tony Bennett, among others. As a student at SU, Riposo started an underground jazz band, which he continued despite threats and warnings from the dean. Riposo was also honored by the New York State Senate for lifetime achievements in music and education.

101315_P_jazzjoeDominant_LoganReidsma_PE

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

2. Porn should not be the end of a relationship

Sex and Health columnist Alex Archambault broke down her experiences with porn this week. After learning that her boyfriend of two-and-a-half years watched porn on a regular basis, Archambault said, “I cycled through a drastic series of emotions: Surprised, then quickly confused, then hurt and finally I just settled on being angry.” After studying up on the subject, though, she said she realized that his habits had nothing to do with her or their sex life. Now, she said she thinks there are much worse problems that could be in a relationship than a porn-watching boyfriend.

3. SU professor and alumnus featured in Bob Dylan book

David Yaffe and Garland Jeffreys were quoted in a recent book about music legend Bob Dylan, “Dylan Disc by Disc.” Yaffe, a SU professor who teaches poetry, fiction and music classes, has written his own book about Dylan, “Bob Dylan: Like a Complete Unknown,” and said that he has been a fan since he purchased a Dylan record as a teenager. Jeffreys, an SU alumnus, said he often listened to Dylan with his friend and SU alumnus Lou Reed during their time at SU. He and Reed, a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee and The Velvet Underground’s frontman, were enamored with Dylan’s lyricism and skill. Although Yaffe and Jeffreys have some differing opinions on Dylan’s work, they appear in the same chapter of the book.

Graphic Illustration by Katherine Sotelo Asst. Feature Editor

Katherine Sotelo | Asst. Feature Editor

4. H&M x Balmain collection leaked

Style columnist Jackie Homan shared her thoughts on the recent leak of the H&M x Balmain collection this week. The photos of the line were an accidental discovery by Kathryn Swartz Rees, who posted them to her Instagram account and ignited a frenzy in the fashion world. H&M confirmed the photos were legitimate but asked Swartz Rees to take them down from her account. Once something is on the Internet, though, it’s difficult to get rid of it, so check out images of the collection here.

A photo posted by BALMAIN ✕ H&M (@balmainxhm) on

5. Local creates eye-catching camper

Tracey Baum-Wicks, the owner of Syracuse’s Sanctuary Spa, is also the owner of a bright and eclectic camper on the corner of West Genesee Street and North Terry Road. She enlisted Dan Gardner, a long-time patron of her spa, to help bring the camper to life this summer. This year, she brought the camper to Vermont for a family Wiccan camping event. Baum-Wicks, a Wiccan herself, said the children loved the camper and she thinks she inspired other families to make campers of their own. Next summer, she hopes to take it to as many festivals and gatherings as she can. Get a closer look at the camper here.

Anna Leach | Contributing Photographer