Letters to the Editor

Ubuntu: Black Leadership Network responds to Jerk magazine article

On behalf of Ubuntu: Black Leadership Network, we are writing to express our concern with the Jerk magazine article entitled “Appreciation or Appropriation?” which attempted to address the controversy surrounding cultural appropriation in popular culture. As a coalition of Black leaders on campus, it is one of our many duties to address the inaccuracies presented throughout the article.

Author Thomas Beckley-Forest argues that “minorities” should not feel offended when privileged whites appropriate their culture because it is “harmless and flattering admiration” with the purpose of adding “flavor” to a “bland” white culture. Using examples such as Kylie Jenner’s “dreads” (which were actually braids, NOT dreads) and the mainstream spread of Jazz and Rock music, Beckley-Forest makes a tasteless argument in defense of cultural appropriation.

This article absurdly misinforms readers about the crucial meaning of cultural appropriation. The term cultural appropriation refers to members of a dominant group exploiting the culture of less privileged groups — often with little understanding of the latter’s history, experience and traditions. In no way, shape or form can appropriation ever be admiration, due to the mere fact that the privileged majority in America do not “appreciate” Black people, thus they cannot appreciate Black culture. These two are inextricably linked. Despite the author’s desire to believe that admiration is the underlining factor in appropriation, the historically extreme and systematic levels of violence, oppression and disrespect of people of color tells us otherwise.

Furthermore, with the discussion of music formation and appropriation, Beckley-Forest fails to address the point that although musicians such as “Elvis Presley” may have helped to “[bring] people together,” they also stole lyrics, choreography, and mannerisms from Black artists like “Chuck Berry.” The key factor that separates appreciation from appropriation is that the original culture or person that the idea is stolen from is never accredited, while the appropriator reaps the benefits, most often in the form of money and fame.

Overall, we are gravely disappointed in Jerk magazine’s lack of discretion and cultural awareness. It is the duty of the leadership to refrain for publishing discriminatory language. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion; however, this becomes problematic when the writer neglects to explain the historically negative connotations behind an issue. Moving forward, we hope that Jerk magazine will make the conscious effort to refrain from spreading inaccurate views of historically oppressive ideologies.

Sincerely,

Ubuntu: Black Leadership Network